Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thawing evaporator

don't hit the fins...they melt rather quickly as well. i'd rather pour hot water on the coil myself but i have broke out the turbo torch on the occasional huge rooftop(cooling only)emergency.....upscale restaurants get pretty cranky if you tell them that you can't do anything for a few hours and they have a full house

Comments

• Thawing Evaporator

Dumb question!!

Has anyone (other than me) ever used a "torch" to thaw an evaporator coil?

Any "downsides" to doing this?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jerryu
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    One Big Downside

Since liquid will accumulate in the coldest portion of the system in the off-cycle, your evaporator coil will contain saturated refrigerant if it is frozen. Using your torch to melt the ice will indeed melt the ice faster but will also cause the pressure in the evaporator to increase at an alarming rate if the heat is concentrated on the coil.

Also, if the system has a liquid-charged TXV, you can potentially cause damage to the TXV if the evporator pressure rises too high.

Other than potentially blowing up the coil (and posiibly the TXV), illegally venting refrigerant, getting a face full of refrigerant oil and R-22, and possible setting your customer's attic (or basement) on fire, there are no down sides to using your torch to defrost the coil.

No sarcasm intended.
  • Jeff Lawrence_24
    Jeff Lawrence_24 Member Posts: 593
    Nope

I turn on the heat! And yes, therehas been more than one occasion that the furnace has bounced on and off via the high limit, but it works.

Professor, I never thought that using a torch could damage the TXV, but it makes sense.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

• I guess I did not ask the questions properly. Straight a/c -- no heat involved -- just condensing unit, indoor blower and coil -- no txv -- no danger of fire -- and "torch" not concentrated on the coil at any one spot for a long period of time. Flame kept moving, only apply flame to "wetted" or frozen coil.

Does anyone see any danger or damage to system?

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

Jerry
  • Rookie_3
    Rookie_3 Member Posts: 244

I have used a heat gun many times without any problems,
    doesn't mean I won't have any down the road. I have used a torch once or twice. Tried hot water but that doesn't do much good on a block of ice that has built up all day. Usually with the heat gun the ice lets go before the heat is actually directly on the coil. What is your thoughts on that Prof.? ................Dan
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    I Have Used Them Too

Nobody asked me about a heat gun. The question was about using a torch.

I use heat guns all the time. After all, my time is valuable (relatively) and I hate standing around watching ice melt (unless it's in a gin and tonic).

Heat guns rock!

This discussion has been closed.