Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Possible to use Attic Heat for Swimming Pool ?

The funky ones are usually the last call of the DAY!Call is for no cooling. Condenser not running, 20yr old York, never really serviced by homeowner. Pull disconnect to check caps (poor shape)prior to cheking for voltage because we could use a new contactor (only wanted to make one trip to truck for parts).Contactor is pull in so there is a call for cooling so have to start with power or contactor is bad,no saftey switches locking it out and the compressor is cool.Check panel, breaker is tripped would not reset. Two single pole 40 amp breakers for a 2 pole 40 amp with the famous piece of copper. Changed breaker, mind you disconnect is out, stat is now OFF, this is very important. Contactor is not pulled in! Put disconnect back in place and the compressor attempted to start. The machine has a single pole contactor along with a shorted to ground compressor . Can you please explain.

Comments

• howard green_2
    howard green_2 Member Posts: 2
    Possibility of using excessive Attic Heat for Swimming Pool?

How can I use the heat built up during the day in an attic to help heat a small swimming pool?

Attic builds up considerable heat -- no big exhaust fans or AC for second floor rooms. Cape-Cod style roof faces South. Want to transfer heat to Pool Water, w/o risk of water damage from circulating pool water through "coils" in the attic. Suggestions?

• Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Large coils of vinyl tubing in the attic?

Without going through the expense of running a fan in the attic, you could create large coils of vinyl tubing located in the attic and pipe in series with the pump circuit.

I did something similar to that with a frien'd's pool, but the coil was outside, on the roof of the garage.

• TGO_54
    TGO_54 Member Posts: 327
    Condensation

I think the idea of coils connected to pool pump would make me more than a little nervous. They would be heavy, wet (condensation) and if they leaked, capaable of emptying the swimming pool into the attic.
    A solar collector outside the roof would not only heat the pool but cool the attic as well.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    That's the main reason

That's the main reason why I ran it on top of my friend roof. I was afraid of having the pool empty into his living room.

Thanks for your "wet" comment
  • howard green_2
    howard green_2 Member Posts: 2
    Need more feedback

Wet coils and flooding house were considered drawbacks, so that's why the quest for alternates.

Any experiences with the SolarAttic organization or approach? Soot, are you connected with them?

Currently am using 20 x 4 foot black ribbed panels at ground level; working well when we have sun at the foggy end of Cape Cod. Notice condensation on underside of panel and on the concrete walkway where they sit, adjacent to the pool itself. Mfg has roof kits, but wife would NOT want to mount them there because of appearance on front of house.

That's why my interest in using the Hot Air, but passing it over or thru a HEAT TRANSFER mechanism, cooling the attic and heating the (dare I use the word, Freon) transfer fluid. In other words, an AC unit in the Attic, with the Compressor end working thru or into the pool system.

So the question is, is this approach ALL WET?
  • soot_seeker_4
    soot_seeker_4 Member Posts: 22
    solar pool heating

no, i'm not connected with them but was interested in their approach. i am toying with the idea of doing what you are doing for now. maybe you could post a picture?

simple is best so no "freon" solution s/b considered in these systems - no need to generate heat when it's already there in abundance. water lines on the roof, front or back never look nice so they either have to be on the ground or some sort of coil in the attic - with leak protection.

what popped into my head was a small divertor valve off the pool return line piped to the attic - copper coil - dense coil but not too big - mounted vertically & parallel to a lower rpm gable vent fan blowing out - with a large - slightly deep pan/well under it - condensate lines running out of attic - with water alarm / valve shut-off mounted higher in the well. fan & valve turn-on & flow according to thermal sensor on coil. not looking for "get rich quick" flow here - just supplementary - steady eddy & the gable vent fan cools the attic at the same time so the energy spent serves a dual purpose.

just a thought.

ss
  • jeff_51
    jeff_51 Member Posts: 545
    my wifes uncle (ex wife) did something similiar

he ran one inch black well pipe up on the roof of his house and just dropped a little sump pump in the corner of his pool. plugged it in when he wanted to heat the pool up. Amazing how fast it would raise the pool temp. In the winter, he just dropped it all in the pool and let it sit. In other words , you do not have to get fancy. Always remember KISS usually works best
  • enthalpy
    enthalpy Member Posts: 13
    Ac systems do the strangest things

The funky ones are usually the last call of the DAY!Call is for no cooling. Condenser not running, 20yr old york, never really serviced by homeowner. Pull disconnect to check caps (ppor shape)prior to cheking for voltage because we could use a new contactor (only wanted to make one trip to truck for parts).Contactor is pull in so there is a call for cooling so have to start with power or contactor is bad,no saftey switches locking it out and the compressor is cool.Check panel, breaker is tripped would not reset. Two single pole 40 amp breakers for a 2 pole 40 amp with the famous piece of copper. Changed breaker, mind you disconnect is out, stat is now OFF, this is very important. Contactor is not pulled in! Put disconnect back in place and the compressor attempted to start. The machine has a single pole contactor along with a shorted to ground compressor . Can you please explain.
  • enthalpy
    enthalpy Member Posts: 13
    Ac systems do the strangest things

The funky ones are usually the last call of the DAY!Call is for no cooling. Condenser not running, 20yr old York, never really serviced by homeowner. Pull disconnect to check caps (poor shape)prior to checking for voltage because we could use a new contactor (only wanted to make one trip to truck for parts).Contactor is pull in so there is a call for cooling so have to start with power or contactor is bad,no saftey switches locking it out and the compressor is cool.Check panel, breaker is tripped would not reset. Two single pole 40 amp breakers for a 2 pole 40 amp with the famous piece of copper. Changed breaker, mind you disconnect is out, stat is now OFF, this is very important. Contactor is not pulled in! Put disconnect back in place and the compressor attempted to start. The machine has a single pole contactor along with a shorted to ground compressor . Can you please explain why compressor attemping to start.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Response to Enthalpygal

Here is the response to Dawn's dilemma in the field the other day
This discussion has been closed.