Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

24 volt solenoid or dpwv

Options
what valve do you prefer when working with a WTA heatpump?

Is there any gain in efficency when using the dpwr valve
verse the traditional 24 volt valve?

Also how do you control the well pump from short cycling?

More air in the tank or a bypass?

I kind of like the way the water regulating valve works it help to elimate all the shaking and banging one would get with with a fast opening and closing valve,however it does short cycle the pressure swith on the pump alot.

I have installed relay on all unit and one 24 volt valve on
the return so all units will get flow if only one is calling
and by doing so keeping the pump from short cycling.

But I can only wonder how that reduces the saving that one see with a wta heatpump.

Your thoughts on this subject....TIA.

Comments

• Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Options
    Water to Air Heat Pumps

Before I get into the details of your post/question, let me define a couple of terms for those of us who may not be up on heat pump ligo. A WTA heat pump is a water-to-air heat pump system. There are four common configurations: water-to-air, water-to-water, air-to-air and air-to-water. The first part of the classification is the source of heat while the system is operating in the heating mode. Therefore, water-to-air and water-to-water heat pumps use water as the heating mode heat source. The second term is used to descrbie the medium that is ultimately treated.

A DPWR Valve is a dual pressure water regulting valve that is designed to maintain the desired system pressure in both the heating and cooling modes of operation.

Now, back to your question, Don. I have found that using the DPWR valve has its benefits as the system pressures are maintained more or less constant. I am also partial to mechanical valves as they directly control the pressure. I guess that's just a personal preference but, as I have mentioned, they seem to operate just fine as long as they are properly maintained.

And yes, I have found that, on occasion, the run time of the well pump can be reduced and can, in extreme cases, result in pump short-cycling. In such cases I have recommended that a time delay relay be installed in the well pump control circuit as well as increasing the cut out pressure on the pump control. By doing this, the pump remains energized for a longer period while aiding in maintaining the system pressures at constant levels.
This discussion has been closed.