Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Carrier

Yes Jay, Carrier is indeed a very good brand with an excellent reputation.

If you read other posts in this forum, you will
see numerous references to R-410a. Puron is Carrier's name for R-410a.

It is definitel a good idea to go with an R-410a system for two reasons: the higher EER and the fact that R-22 has already begun its phaseout process.

The total phase-out for R-22 will occur in 2020 and it can be expected that supplies will be short prior to then.

The R-22 phaseout began on January 1, 2004.

On the EER issue, 10 SEER units will no longer be available after December 31, 2005 so going with the higher SEER unit will definitely be a plus for you.

Just keep in mind that the initial cost of the 410a equipment will be higher than an equivalent R-22 system, but you will find that, in the longer term, it was money well spent.

Comments

• Jay_20
    Jay_20 Member Posts: 12
    Carrier

I am looking to get central Air and was wondering if Carrier is a good brand to go with. I am looking at the Carrier Puron series? I was told that the freon that is used now will be obsolete in five years and I should go with the Puron. It is also more efficient then the other models it is 15.5 SEER. Any advice would be helpful.

Jay
  • Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
    clarification

13 SEER will be the minimum as of Jan 23, 2006. This means there will be no one allowed to manufacture it. Existing units manufactured prior to this date will be available for sale until existing supplied are used up.

Mitch
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Thank You

Thanks for the clarification, Mitch. Your input is always welcome.

Keep up the good work.
  • John L
    John L Member Posts: 118

If you are installing a new a/c system take a look at Carrier's Infinity system- you will need to have A variable speed drive on your air handler/furnace. Also check out their Infinity Control System- the coolest control on the market. Carrier also has an Infinity zone control system if needed. People are buying up to this system because it is extremely quiet, enhances the comfort level in the home, and will save on the utilities. take a look you'l' be impressed. Good luck
  • Nick_16
    Nick_16 Member Posts: 79
    Carrier Infinity System

I am a homeowner and had the new Infinity System installed last June. The unit has a SEER rating of 18. It has a two speed compresser and a variable speed air handler. It is the best money we have ever spent! It took our cooling costs from $150-200/month to $15-50/month! The system is very quiet and comfortable as well. Go with Carrier for refridigation but not boilers.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Sounds Great!

An unsolicited testimonial... The best kind.
  • Kal Row
    Kal Row Member Posts: 1,520
    and if you live near the ocean...

carrier's "coastal" model is the way to go, specifically designed to handle continuous salt air – it gives up 2 points of EER though, simply because the condenser fins are that much ticker – so it’s physically imposable to be the same EER without making the condenser coil huge

ps a common failure near the ocean is the little liquid line drier that comes with many condensers, since the drier’s casing is not copper, it dies first, I take them out, and put in a much larger flare nut one – the larger flare nut ones seem ticker and last longer in that env
This discussion has been closed.