Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Freeze 12

air conditioning repaired, the mechanic insisted on freeze 12, he said it was better than sliced bread and just as good or better than r12, and that the 2 could mix easily................

I found out the next day that he was WRONG!! completely froze the pump. freeze 12 is also considered hazardous waste, and cannot be recycled like r12.

don't substitute freeze 12 for r12, they are not the same thing.

that little lesson cost me about 1500.00 dollars to get my truck repaired correctly, fortunately I was still able to purchase R12.

freeze 12 will work, but the system has to be COMPLETELY FLUSHED and EVACUATED, and new accumulator/dryer installed.

Comments

• Jason_15
    Jason_15 Member Posts: 124
    Freeze 12

Is Freeze 12 an acceptable substitute for R-12 auto retrofit? Better than converting to 134A? any input is appreciated...
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Ref.

M39 and "Hot Shot" will work but consult the auto store. They should be able to ans. your Q:
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Suspicious

Freeze 12 is a blend of HFC-134a (about 70 - 90%) and HCFC-142b (about 10 - 30%). At their website (www.freeze12.com), the company TCC states that Freeze12 has been available since about 1996 and that there are presently no compressor manufacturers that will honor their warrantees if it is found that the compressor was used with Freeze12.

TCC goes on to say that, if the compressor manufacturer can prove that the compressor failure was due to the use of Freeze12, TCC would honor the comprssor warranty. The compressor manufacturers are not responsible for testing and proving that a particular substance or mixture caused the compressor failure. As the manufacturer, they have the right to determine which substances, chemicals and mixtures can be used in conjuction with their product.

TCC is basically telling you that they will not honor the warranty for the compressor since the manufacturer would have to test every substance and prove that it directly contributed to the demise of the compressor. For instance... last year I was working on an older automotive air conditioning system and did not have any R-12 handy, so I used chocolate syrup instead (kidding but making a point). Almost immediately, the compressor failed. I returned the compressor to the company and they refused to honor the warranty.. Is the compressor manufacturer responsible for testing the chocolate syrup to determine that it was responsible for the failure, or do they simply have to say that there was an unapproved substance in the compressor? Of course, the latter is true.

Freeze12 has been on the market for over 8 years and still does not have the nod from compressor manufacturers. I invite the fine people at TCC to provide information to the contrary if, in fact, the information on the website is not correct.

TCC does list retrofit/changeout procedures on the www.freeze12.com website as well as a number of service-relates issues. It would definitely be beneficial to check this stuff out to get a more complete picture, at least from the manufacturer's standpoint.

Remember, be sure to read what's between the lines as well as what's on them.

Keep us posted on your results.
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    My experience

When the comp was replaced in my work car, R134a was put in. Took forever to cool down. Buddy at ICOR gave me some Hot Shot. Gees what a difference. Ice cold, will run down to the upper 30s in supply air before the comp cycles off. With the humidity we've been having, it's saved the day.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Hot Shot

I have also had good results with Hot Shot
  • Jason_15
    Jason_15 Member Posts: 124
    Hot shot

What is hot shot?? ie. what is it made of?
  • Eugene Silberstein 3

Hot Shot is also known as R-414b. It is a HCFC blend made up of HCFC-22, HCFC-124, HCFC-142b and R-600 (butane).

• Blackoakbob
    Blackoakbob Member Posts: 252
    Hot shot.......

I've used it for the past three years in everything that I used R12 in, low, med temp and auto a/c. No difficulties at all. I intend to try One Shot and NU 22 when the need arises.Best Regards
    PS. Eugene I just finished your Residential HVAC book. What a great text for a classroom and a super reference book to have in the office. I'm starting the heat pump book next. My heat pump sales are up and it should help with things I've forgotten since the first ones I installed in the early 70's.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Thank You!

Thanks for the kind words, Bob.

The goal I've set for all of my books is to provide useful information in an easy-to-read, hopefully entertaining style that does not intimidate the reader.

There will be some other books hitting the market in the not-too-distant future. I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks again for your posistive feedback.
This discussion has been closed.