Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Want a quiet compressor for home

Options
The sheet metal jacket. Get yourself a 5/16" nutdriver and make sure all the fasteners are tight. In some cases you'll find that as Eugene said, the unit may have settled or wasn't installed level in the first place. This can place a stress on the casing and cause buzzing or excess fan vibration. Sometimes loosening the right screw can alieviate the problem. Carrier is typically one of the quieter units out there.

Comments

• Steve Garson
    Steve Garson Member Posts: 191
    Options
    Want a quiet compressor for home

I have a Carrier compressor next to my patio that refrigerates the coolant for my central air (Mode begins with 38TKB...). When it was installed six years ago, I didn't realize that outside noise should be a factor in deciding on an installer. Now I have this noisy blower and visitor tell me their's is much quieter.

While I know it is a big investment to change units when they work fine, can you direct me to the quietest replacement? The inside blower works fine and is very quiet. House has perfect number of BTUs of cooling.

Thanks
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Options
    Before you replace...

Carrier puts out a high quality product and I am concerned that you are unhappy with the noise levels that you are being exposed to. There are a few things that can be done/checked before you decide to replace your condensing unit, especially since it is only 6 years old. I am still unclear, based on your post, if it is the compressor of the condenser fan motor that is making the noise. Here is a partial list of suggestions:

Check to make certain that the condensing unit is perfectly level. A condensing unit that has settled and is no longer level may make more noise than usual.

Bushes can serve as a noise buffer. If you decide to plant bushes around the unit, make certain that there is sufficient space around the unit for free-air circulation through the coil.

Make certain that all shipping materials have been removed from the compressor. The compressor is mounted on springs, which are intended to reduce noise caused by compresor vibration. The compressor should be resting on the springs and should be able to move slightly up and down on the springs.

Make certain that there is ample oil return to the compressor. An improperly lubricated compressor will be noisier than normal. If the indoor blower is located below the compressor there should be a trap in the refrigerant piping to allow for oil return to the compressor.

Make certain there is no liquid refrigerant returning to the compressor. A small amount of liquid refrigerant flowing back to the compressor will cause the noise level to increase. (too much liquid will result in major system componnetn failure)
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,111
    Options
    compressor jacket

If your compressor is a little noisey check all the things on the last post and see if you have a compessor jacket if your unit doesn't have one call a carrier dealer or your service co and have one installed and check to see if the fan blade slipped down on your condenser fan motor that also will increase the noise level of your unit good luck and peace clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Steve Garson
    Steve Garson Member Posts: 191
    Options

Actually, I should clarify that the noise if primarily driven by the fan blower. I do have bushes next to the unit, but far enough. The unit is a Model 38TKB. It sounds the same as it did when new.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Options
    Out of balance?

If such is the case, I would look into having the fan blade replaced. The condenser fans are typically rather quiet. It may be possible that one of the blades got bent during the installation process. I would explore this option before going through the expense of replacing the entire condensing unit.
This discussion has been closed.