Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Spud removal

Options
I need the trick to remove the valve conection from old 1 pipe steam rads. I have used the pipe wrench, the spud wrench and heat with both with little luck. The cold chissle and chipping out the broken pieces is next. Any tricks? Also what kind of tourch are used. Thanks T.

Comments

• Jim Bennett
    Jim Bennett Member Posts: 607
    Options
    Try this

I grab hold of the union nut with vase grips and cut it in two pieces with a hacksaw. Now you can get ahold of whats left with a pipe wrench and turn it out.

Good luck,
    Jim

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    bushing saw

I use a bushing saw to (after cutting away all but about 1/4" to 1/2" of the protruding spud) to cut out a v-shaped wedge (front-to-back of the spud along it's length). You'll "feel" the harder iron threads once you've reached their depth and need to stop there to prevent grooving the body-threads - keep the saw-blade level while cutting. A gentle tap with a small chisel will remove the wedge. With that gone, it's a simple matter of squeezing the remaining portion of the spud with your water-pump plyers and the spud can then be easily turned out (often by hand).

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • thfurnitureguy_4
    thfurnitureguy_4 Member Posts: 398
    Options

Thanks, I thought a sawsall inside the fitting near the top so as not to mess up threads where the water lays might be the answer. I will be careful not to cut to deeply.
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Options
    sawzall

You can use one, but you won't be able to "feel" the change once you begin cutting into the steel threads as well. Sawzalls cut too fast for delicate work, but I have used them at times to cut out spuds. Same for tub drains - inside the tub - makes the old sphincter muscle pucker if you slip!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options
    bushing saw

i have been using a sawzall with a cape chisel for over forty years with good results but always ready to adapt to progressive methods. what is a bushing saw ?? that is a new one to me unless i know it by another term --trade or otherwise. keep up the monthly articles Dave. they are A#1
  • jeff_51
    jeff_51 Member Posts: 545
    Options
    I've used a sawzall for years too

I always make sure I have a can of Xpando or some epoxy putty. I have acutally cut all the way through threads and sealed it with both products. I use expando whenever I go from steel to copper. I have never heard of a bushing saw either so will be interested in an explanation.
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Options
    A little steak sauce?

Thanks Bob, you're going to like the one I submitted this weekend - part two on home inspections. If they don't cut the meat, it sizzles on the platter.

Here's a pic of a bushing saw from an e-mail I sent my cousin who was having a shower head problem in Colorado - long distance advice(G).

• bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options
    JEWELERS SAW

THAT IS WHAT WE CALLED A JEWELERS SAW. HAVEN'T USED ONE OF THEM SINCE 1960 IN HIGH SCHOOL SHOP CLASS . I WILL STICK WITH THE SAW ZALL AS I GOT THE FEEL FOR IT. OR BETTER YET LET THE BOYS DO IT , THAT'S EVEN EASIER. LOL
  • LIBOB
    LIBOB Member Posts: 23
    Options

Most supply houses sell a tool called a spud wrench. It slips into the radiator connection then you put the pipe wrench on the spud wrench.
  • Don \"Grumpy\" Walsh
    Don \"Grumpy\" Walsh Member Posts: 184
    Options
    What no plumbers here?

Bushing saw, Jeweler's saw, whatever! Every self respecting plumber has one of those for cutting off closet bolts. And you guys thought plumbers didn't know anything! Harrruummmmph! :)
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Options
    I have

a severely twisted spud-wrench tool from attempting to remove a spud from a steam radiator in my tool arsenal. It reminds me why I have a bushing or jeweler's saw(G).

• Jim Bennett
    Options
    Spud wrench

> Most supply houses sell a tool called a spud

> wrench. It slips into the radiator connection

> then you put the pipe wrench on the spud wrench.

• Jim Bennett
    Options
    Spud wrench

A spud wrench is great for installations, but age and steam have a way of setting them up so removal requires drastic measures!

Get A Bagger Hammer!!!:-)

Cheers,

Jim

• Bart_2
    Bart_2 Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Tiny Tim Saw

every plumber knows that is a "tiny Tim" saw . Inveted and made originally by pasco...
  • thfurnitureguy_4
    Options

Us wood guys call that a fret saw. That thing that you got out of your dads plumbing box to cut the frets into your 69 stratocaster neck you made in highschool. now I know what I should do with it Thanks!
  • tls_9
    tls_9 Member Posts: 89
    Options
    Laugh if you will...

But this is how I procede:

If the nipple wrench (spud wrench) wont work, which as said above, it probably wont on old systems, I take a small very sharp chisel and wack the union nut, horizonaly, till it breaks then peal it off the nipple.

Then I take an 8" or 10" pipe wrench, slip a copper pull pipe on it and give it a jerk. the small wrench grips better than a larger and is less likly to twist or crush the nipple, It comes out enough times to be worth the time trying it. Also trying to tighten it will start it moving sometimes.

Now if it still wont budge or I twisted it off, I go for the sawzall. If i have room to get the saw in streaght and my head down there for a good look. I use them tiny blades that look like jig saw blades.

If i cant get the sawzall in there, then i go for the mini saw, as dave said, them things are priceless, when you need them.

After sawing, its good to have a tap to clean out the threads before putting in the new nipple.

tom
  • John Starcher_4
    John Starcher_4 Member Posts: 794
    Options
    Old time tool names........

....always intrigue me.

Now, where did I put my bolivers???????

Starch
  • thfurnitureguy_4
    Options

"copper pull pipe " is that the plumbers equavalent to a motercycle fork tube? Is it to make the handle longer and make the diference betwen a good pipe wrench one made in China obvious?
  • Boiler Guy
    Boiler Guy Member Posts: 585
    Options
    My choice

is a 7.2V Makita sawsall. Handiest battery tool I ever bought. Use a Lennox bimetal blade so you can bend them if necessary. If everything else fails .... my trusty Makita will "git er dun". Great for those toilet bolts too!!
  • jeff_51
    jeff_51 Member Posts: 545
    Options
    we always called that a min-hacksaw

and yes I use my spud wrench for removing spuds all the time, as often as not to keep the spud from collapsing. I also heat the dickens out of em and they will peel right out when all else fails
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    saw name

the saw that lenox sells is called a close quarter saw or a cheese saw.. those are the best on the market.. i have one for years and the blades are so good for brass, copper, steel that i only changed the blade twice in two years..
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    saw name

the saw that lenox sells is called a close quarter saw or a cheese saw.. those are the best on the market.. i have one for years and the blades are so good for brass, copper, steel that i only changed the blade twice in two years..
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    saw name

This discussion has been closed.