Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

On Call compensation ??

ScottMP
ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
I give my guys a compensation for taking the pager on the weekends. They receive it whether they go out or not.

I would like some idea what is considered due compensation for taking the pager for a weekend. Friday night to Monday morning.

You may respond any way you like. If you wish to remain anonymous, do so. If you wish to give a price range that you feel would be acceptable, fine.

I would like a consenses of what would be acceptable.

Scott

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=237&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Matt_21
    Matt_21 Member Posts: 140
    we give our

on call tech $100.00 per weekend. if they take a call they get paid for the time they were on the call in addition to the $100.
  • tls_9
    tls_9 Member Posts: 89
    way back when

We started paying our guys $75.00 per week to be on call. On call was all "Off" hours from 4:30pm monday to 8:00 am the next Monday. If they were called out they were paid the appropriate scale for when they were out. Everybody got one week there was a 6 month calander that showed who was on when, it was up to the guys themselves to trade time if they wanted too. The phone was answered by a service who forwarded the call to the on call tech. Not perfect, but the system worked pretty good.

tom
  • Al Gregory
    Al Gregory Member Posts: 260

I pay 25 a night during the week and 100 a weekend. Since the only other guy I had that was able to do nights left in Sept I have been doing every night and weekend myself. I am burnt out and ready to say screw it. Couldn't find anyone this winter and now its getting slow and really dont need anyone till August
  • Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
    I pay my guys nothing!

I also allow them to call in from their Nextels once every 2 hours to pickup calls - from anywhere within a one hour drive of the shop (meaning if they want to go "out" - they can) but not one brewski! If they get a call, they get their pay (O.T. if they already have 40 hrs in - or their being "on call work" creates over 40 hours anyhow later in the week) plus a bonus of $60./residential call or $75./call if commercial. They serve in this capacity from 5 PM (regular quitting time) to 10 PM weekdays; any holiday, Saturday or Sunday.

If they do four Saturday calls, just the bonus alone puts an extra $300 +/- in their wallet.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • tommyoil
    tommyoil Member Posts: 613
    We get

the luxury of the nextel, time and a half after an 8 hr. day and after 40 total hours. Double time after 12 hours straight and the option to drop calls to the next guy on the list after 12 hours straight(which I NEVER do but seem to get hammered when the shoe is on the other foot). If I get cleared (sent home due to no calls) and then get called out, I get two hours minimum of double time just to answer the phone and get you going and double time the entire time I'm out. The only "stand by" pay is on Sundays (which is straight double time all day) and that amounts to $80.00.
  • Dan Goodridge
    Dan Goodridge Member Posts: 62

We pay our techs $100 for the week. They are paid OT for all calls-- door to door.
  • ryan_7
    ryan_7 Member Posts: 50
    compensation

We have 3 techs and switch each week(and I am one of them). I pay 25 a week for anyone on call. Before you say thats not much, consider that we go weeks in a summer with no calls. And they are paid from when they leave to when they return, the appropriate overtime, Does not matter if they worked 8 hours that day or not, anything after hours is overtime. If someone just needs a part they get a 20 dollar shop opening fee. Also they get paid for all callbacks and warranty work (of which I do not get to collect for) We also have a policy they only have to go out for our customers, new customers are up to there discretion.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452

$50/week of on call for standby. Pay @1 1/2times when we go out -door-door
  • REF
    REF Member Posts: 61
    I'm still

thinking about telling my wife she's on call. I just bought her some nice perfume, so that could be an advance. Well, everyone should remember that this is a great trade and be proud that you have the ability to keep the public safe and comfortable. No matter how you slice it on call is on call. Bravo to the companies that give their tech's extra pay because for many years tech's went out for just regular pay. It is a good sign for future employees to see we actually pay good people.

PS Al Gregory I know how you feel. Take a long weekend it will do you some good.

Very Respectfully,

REF
  • Robert O'Connor_3
    Robert O'Connor_3 Member Posts: 272

We get 10% commision on the calls we do on the weekend. if we make over 3500 in the weekend we get 100 dollars plus the 10% commis. we switch off weekends every 8 weeks,the tech who takes weekend calls also has to take emergency calls during the week as well. We get $10 for every night we are on call even if we don't go out on calls, plus 1/2 of our emergency fee (85) for each call we do. So i'm really lucky to have such a great weekend program.
  • Johnny B
    Johnny B Member Posts: 2
    compensation

In our company, we get $50.00 per night to be on call. In addition, we get paid overtime from the time we are "On the way" to the call, until we get home. We also get a $25.00 Spiff if we close the call, each additional call closed is $25.00 plus O.T.

At times, it's really great, like when it is busy. But, when it is slow, it reaks a little because, being on call means we have to stay local "In case" a call comes in.

I've often told my boss, He dosent have to give me the $50.00 to be on call if he would allow me to leave the area. I would return if a call came, just not as soon as he'd like.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    was getting

Where i was working i got 140 for stand by 1 1/2 for all calls no double time or extra holiday pay also they carried over your ot if it was more then 9 hours so by the time you finally got paid for all your ot who knows if you where shorted and your travel time was a usually a wash .2 weeks ago i finally finbished the ot from a extra long74 hour weekend steam replacement from i believe november but thank god no more on call no more oil service movin on peace clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • jeff_51
    jeff_51 Member Posts: 545
    we get a min of four hrs for every day on call, 2hrs for eavning

• tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    How does this sound

What if we gave 50% of the overtime labor, which the payroll time and half would be part of that 50%. Does that sound fair? that would equal either appx 60 hr to 82 hr depending on day and time of day paid to the worker. No on call pay just a very good rate??
  • keith
    keith Member Posts: 224
    on call pay

We run a on call schedule from October 1st to April 1st weather dependant.

They are on the hook for 1 week at a time. Monday evening until the following Monday morning.

They recieve 8 hours pay @ straight time for the privilage of being available.

If they do get called out it's a 4 hour minimum @ time and half and double time on Sunday's and Holiday's.

Keith
  • Wethead7
    Wethead7 Member Posts: 170
    on call

We do not pay on call.Required part of the service tech's job. The tech is on primary on call for two weeks a year. The normal hours are 6am-12am Mon-Fri 6am-6pm Sat{we have several overlapping shifts} all other hours on call. The primary guy first out up to two hours. Primary out over two hours other personel are called in. I will be notifed if any staff member is out over two hours. After hours is paid at double time home to home. All staff is required to answer secondary page with 2 hrs. Failure to do so results in loss of any Bounses for the pay period. Almost half of the service tech pay is bounses(35-55%).

The above works pretty good. We are always looking improvements. Note dispatch staff is required to know where the service staff is and how long they are out.

Mike
  • Joe Grosso
    Joe Grosso Member Posts: 307
    On Call

My union deal is man gets straight pay every hour on call period.If on weekend time and half period.As a owner and a union member I believe in paying a good tech a fair wage.I see that some here give 200 a week plus any hours at time and a half.If believe that is pretty fair.The contract I work under is quite expensivebut I read some of these other deals for me or my men to sit around all weekend or night at no or very little money is criminal.OWNERS nothing wrong with making a good buck but you would not be doing this without great service techs.Pay them please.Just my two cents.
  • tommyoil
    tommyoil Member Posts: 613
    Just curious Joe

What state are you in? Also, is your local a trade local? Thanks.
  • Joe Grosso
    Joe Grosso Member Posts: 307
    hey Tommyoil

I am in metro nyc and we are part of the teamsters.It is a little high with the on call pay but then you have the other end here that gives their men nothing for the privlage of being on call.I have believed like my father and grandfather that pay your men well and you will be paid back ten fold.
This discussion has been closed.