Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Humidity

Todd_9
Todd_9 Member Posts: 88
We have a customer with a hydroair system that would like to add a humidifier to the system. I was thinking that a standard pad style wouldn't be very effective considering the lower temp air. Would a steam style work better? If so what is a good brand to look at?

Comments

• JimGPE_3
    JimGPE_3 Member Posts: 240
    Hydro Air

I am assuming this is a heat pump. If so, I had good success with a pad type by feeding it from my hot water line rather than the cold. All the humidity I wanted in my home with an air to air heat pump.
  • Todd_9
    Todd_9 Member Posts: 88
    Hydroair

Actually this is a hotwater hydroair with a boiler as its source. Actually this was an "indirect" steam heating system which was converted-to forced hydro- due to the excessive amounts of fuel used to heat the incoming outside air. The house has all french doors on the first floor and leaks alot of air, the homeowner is aware that this is causing the dry indoor conditions. At this ponit he would simply like to add a high capacity humidifier and work on the leakage as he restores the house.
  • Rich Kontny_2
    Rich Kontny_2 Member Posts: 24
    Todd

if he want to be able to maintain the humidity setting and
    have enough capacity on those very cold days,then a steam
    humidifider with a control that will bring on the fan even when the heat not calling is the way to go.
  • Matt_21
    Matt_21 Member Posts: 140
    go to

humidity.com. look at the nortec resdelux. it will handle a 30,000 cubic foot house.
  • STEVE N
    STEVE N Member Posts: 48
    Steam is the way to go

Steam is the way to go. Skuttle and Honeywell both make fine units both available in 220 volts which is what you have at the air handler. I would control it with a humidistat. Its a fairly simple wire job as well. 24V transformer, multi purpose relay and you are good to go. The relay allows you to run heat as a priority by opening the contact to the fan motor being used for humidification. Low speed on the fan works best for humidification.

Just my 2 cents

Steve
This discussion has been closed.