Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Converting Steam Coil to Hot Water

Options
Travis S.
Travis S. Member Posts: 2
I am starting to look at converting a steam system to hot water. I will have to convert large air handling units that have steam coils over to hot water. How can I tell if these coils are convertable or will I have to replace them? Does anyone have a good resource for coil questions?

Comments

• Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
    Options
    We just did exactly that.

Converted a steam HX to water X water.

We were told it "might work." We decided to clean the tube and shell side and re-use the HX. Worked like a charm. The issue was: will the water circulate fully/enough accross the tube bundle to allow much/most of the bundle to be in the flow of water?

We estimated that the capacity of the existing HX was about 140% of what was originally needed and felt even with a 20% loss of thermal transfer, we'd still be more than adequate.

We were apparantly right. Despite the missing water baffles the flow is virtually the same as if originally water to water. Here's a picture of before and after we cleaned the coil

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
    Options
    We just did exactly that.

Converted a steam HX to water X water.

We were told it "might work." We decided to clean the tube and shell side and re-use the HX. Worked like a charm. The issue was: will the water circulate fully/enough accross the tube bundle to allow much/most of the bundle to be in the flow of water?

We estimated that the capacity of the existing HX was about 140% of what was originally needed and felt even with a 20% loss of thermal transfer, we'd still have more than adequate transfer.

We were apparantly right. Despite the missing water baffles the flow is virtually the same as if originally water to water. Here's a picture of before and after we cleaned the coil

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Michal
    Michal Member Posts: 213
    Options
    call maufacturer

well easiest would be to call maufacturer, but you might have to add a 2 or three way valve on it, but honestly call the company up
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options

It depends what type of steam coils you have . If they are "non freeze" steam coils they can't be converted.

Non freeze coils have a header at one end (or on the bottom) and the steam inlet and condensate outlet are connected to the same header that has a divider inside. If you lok at the end oppisite the header and see tubes that are caped off(there usually 1") and no return bends it is a non freeze steam coil.

ED
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    I agree

Great advice here. Thanks.
    Retired and loving it.
This discussion has been closed.