Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

radiator paint.

looking for some cool looking, Ok I mean Hot looking radiator paint. I know I want solid non metalic colors for the bodies ( I need all the radiation I can get) All the Harry HO stuff is rated below 130F. Any Ideas from the pros. Thanks T.

Comments

• Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

Plain old flat latex paint doesn't seem to have any problem with the temps--even with a steam system.

Glossy is easier to clean, but a bit less emissive.

DO NOT use latex over bare iron--it will rust through in very short order! You can switch from oil-based to latex-based once in either direction, but don't switch again. If you do, the layers will start to separate and the paint will come off in chunks.

Flat alkyd (oil-base) paint is available--if a bit hard to find. It can be tinted like any other paint, but they might not have the formulas for exact color matches.
  • ISLAND BOILER
    ISLAND BOILER Member Posts: 8

I know that there is 1200F paint available. I found it on Patriot-Supply.com They look like they only sell it in black. If you go to their site it is part # KR1614.

TONY
  • Dean_7
    Dean_7 Member Posts: 192
    paint

Try High Temp engine enamel. That's what I used on my radiators after having them sand blasted. Comes in lots of colors, good to 850 degrees. I used gray gloss and they look great.
  • Mike G_2
    Mike G_2 Member Posts: 13

What about powder-coating? If they can be moved, have them sandblasted and powder coated. Only one layer of paint over a solid, clean surface. Since the coating process involves temps to over 400 degrees, the high steam temps should not be a problem.

This assumes, of course, that you can get them out of the house ;-)
  • John Shea
    John Shea Member Posts: 247
    I'm with Mike T.

never had a problem with good old flat latex wall paint.
  • thfurnitureguy_2
    thfurnitureguy_2 Member Posts: 74

Thanks !
  • Dave Stroman
    Dave Stroman Member Posts: 764

I use automotive gray primer after I sand blast them. I usually have the home owner paint them the final color they want.
    I had one job where the lady had all her radiators powder coated. Big mistake. They got them all so hot that they burned out the paper gaskets between the sections. Had to replace the radiators.

Dave in Denver.
    Dave Stroman
  • Sean_11
    Sean_11 Member Posts: 21
    Any recommended radiator sanblasters/refinishers in NY area?

Hello,

I'd like compare prices on getting my steam radiators sandblasted and powdercoated vs. just getting them sandblasted and painting them myself with high temp enamel. Can anyone recommend someone in the NY area (I'm in Queens) for either just sandblasting or both sandblasting and powdercoating steam radiators? Thank you.

Best Regards,

Sean
  • JB_8
    JB_8 Member Posts: 85
    Action Powdercoating

Action Powdercoating 631 225 1949 they were in Lindenhurst now I think they are off Rt 110 in Farmingdale. Call info if the number changed. They sandblast& powdercoat radiators. Its about $100 if you drop them off.
  • Sean_11
    Sean_11 Member Posts: 21

Thanks, JBee. I called them this morning, I'm going to bring it over this weekend. Like you said, about $100. It would have been a lot more to replace with new, and still would have to paint it. Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.