Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Problems with new copper pipe

Ken_8
Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
the tubing cutter is rolling a burr up?

How does a factory cut end fit? Still too big?

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=68&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Anyone using Mueller

pipe , 1/2 inch type L ? Anyone having the same trouble we have the past few months ? Seems that the pipe size is extruded too big , making the fit real hard . I got cuts on every finger from the pipe slipping out when I try to force it in . This is not a problem with every other size and type pipe from the same company . Is there a way to make the oversized pipe fit any easier ? Anything short of reaming every friggin' fitting ? Thanks in advance . Ron
  • No burr

on the cutters - I use the same ones all day on different size pipes . Only problem is with 1/2 L rigid . I never checked on a factory edge because it looks like they use dull sawzall blades to cut em . Our supplier just switched to Mueller ball valves , and the quality ain't that great either . Most of the pack nuts leak right out of the box , and the valves close funny , like theres something stuck .

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Are you sure

it's not the fittings that are undersized ? I've had a bunch of bad fittings lately, poorly extruded with a notch in a couple (big leak) and a large pushed up burr on the inside on others.

Tight fittings do not allow for good solder joints, as you know. You really need those few thousands of clearence for the solder.

Years ago Nibco would pay you 5 bucks for any bad fitting :)

I guess you checked the fittings on type M?

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    I would also check the fittings.

Had a batch of 3/4 slip couplings that were tighter than a banjo string, last winter. (Of couse they were trying to be used at the height of freeze season!) Had to ream every one before getting a decent fit. If you've got some older 1/2 fittings in the bin, try them first before condenming the pipe.

I've been taught to cut the first 1/2 inch off every piece of pipe BEFORE trying to use anything on it. Trucking, storage and the goons that handle it don't really care as much as we do (apparently). Chris
  • Yep , had plenty of bad fittings

This past week we had a split in a 1/2 inch copper by female tee , a split 1/2 copper tee and a pinhole in a 1/2 copper by male ell . I wonder if anyone is incorporating bad fittings and the time it takes to fix em in their billing method ?

We use 1/2 inch L for heat and domestic , but I checked a few fittings on a stick of type M and they slip on as easily as when we connect to old 1/2 pipe . This was today's job , about 30 to 40 1/2 inch fittings and almost every one was a PITA to fit . If we keep buying tight pipe
    , the arthritis in my hands is gonna be accelerated . As it is now I wake up with what feels like 2 stiff slabs of flounder , minus the smell .
  • It's the pipe

There's too many different types and brands of fittings and valves that do not fit . No problem with the fittings on existing type L . If it don't get easier soon , I'm going to do every coil and 1/2 inch zone in 3/4 . At least it'll be done quicker .
  • Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Mueller

I wonder if Mueller is importing their stuff now. Could explain it.
  • kevin_5
    kevin_5 Member Posts: 308
    Anyone seen threads like this?

I was trying to start an 1 1/4" female adapter on a boiler at about 3 AM. After trying a while I took a good look at the threads. They're cut deep enough, and look good, but wait, they aren't really threads, they're just parallel cut grooves that aren't really threads at all.
    A magic marker confirmed what my eyes didn't believe. I marked every other groove and ended up with a series of parallel circles instead of one long line that spirals to the bottom. I wonder if it's some kind of sick joke by a disgruntled employee. The worst part is I was 120 miles from home. Thankfully I had another one along! Kevin

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • JaredM_3
    JaredM_3 Member Posts: 12
    A few years ago...

I got a 'great deal' on threaded rod and strut from a salesman that stopped in from a company in NJ. I bought about 10 bundles of rod....at least half were not threaded but rather cut grooves just like you describe.

I could never get that salesman to call me back and still have that rod. I am waiting for someone from their firm to call on me again!

-Jared
  • Dave Bush
    Dave Bush Member Posts: 155
    \"Unthreaded male adaptors \"

> I was trying to start an 1 1/4" female adapter on

> a boiler at about 3 AM. After trying a while I

> took a good look at the threads. They're cut deep

> enough, and look good, but wait, they aren't

> really threads, they're just parallel cut grooves

> that aren't really threads at all. A magic

> marker confirmed what my eyes didn't believe. I

> marked every other groove and ended up with a

> series of parallel circles instead of one long

> line that spirals to the bottom. I wonder if it's

> some kind of sick joke by a disgruntled employee.

> The worst part is I was 120 miles from home.

> Thankfully I had another one along! Kevin

>

> _A

> HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=

> 270&Step=30"_To Learn More About This

> Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in

> "Find A Professional"_/A_

I had three of them in 1' and 1-1/2" over the past couple weeks. All were Nibco.

3 am is a baaaaaad time to find something like that...

• Dave Bush
    Dave Bush Member Posts: 155
    \"Unthreaded male adaptors \"

I had three of them in 1' and 1-1/2" over the past couple weeks. All were Nibco.

3 am is a baaaaaad time to find something like that...

This discussion has been closed.