Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Problems threading steel pipe ( bad pipe ? )

ScottMP
ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
We have had problems threading black steel pipe, mostly 1 1/4". We had the problme with a gas job last week and used a Ridgid threading and our Rems power threader. It appears the pipe is chipping if and leaving flat spots in the threads.

My supplier says it must be our threader and that is possible but Both Threaders ??

I thinks its bad pipe. It is Weatland pipe.

Anyone else ??

Scott

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=237&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Boilerpro_3
    Boilerpro_3 Member Posts: 1,231
    I thinks you're right, Scott

This has been discussed extensively here before. I mostly hand thread and the poor quality of pipe is really obvious then. I now longer except any Wheatland, WTC, or any other brand of pipe from my suppliers anymore except Sharon tube. Sharon apparently still has some reasonable level of quality control while none of the other manufacturers do not.
    There appear to be lots of hard spots in the metal that cause the threads to tear out while being threaded. I also reuse old piping as much as possible with gas lines, since the quality is always better than anything available today. Threading the older steel piping is like threading butter, threads come out smooth, clean with almost a polished quality.

Boilerpro
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    It just Aint the same anymore....:(

the stuff is ..... basically.
  • Tony Conner_2
    Tony Conner_2 Member Posts: 443
    I Didn't...

...think that anything could match the crappulence of the A53F furnace-weld junk that was on the market, and rejoiced when most mills stopped making it. (There's only one manufacturer left, as I understand it.) Much rejoicing, or so I thought. We did a job recently where the customer wanted a bit of galvanized installed. We got handed A53A ERW. That was some nasty stuff. Threaded just like you described.

We usually find it's cheaper to get the better grade of pipe - A106B seamless. It costs more to buy, but it threads MUCH better, so it doesn't actually cost more. Consider the time you cut 2 or 3 junk threads on the cheap stuff, vs cutting one good one on better quality pipe.
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Thats what I thought

I have been told that we are the only ones and there are no other complaints.

I think alot of people are no longer using stell pipe. what with trac pipe and pex.

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • John Starcher_4
    John Starcher_4 Member Posts: 794
    Isn't it amazing....

....how whenever problems like this arise, you are the ONLY one experiencing them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Starch
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    yup, same experiance

different brand...most suppliers stock cheap jobber steel...Tony Conner had some really good insights into this posted before..perhaps you can find his previous posts using the search..
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    Stupid me

Blaming the dies, the oil, and or the help. Best Wishes J.Lockard
  • Bill_39
    Bill_39 Member Posts: 69
    I had the same problem

with the same pipe but it was with 11/4 through 2". I was threading it with a Ridgid 700. One of the times it made a hole in the pipe.
  • grindog
    grindog Member Posts: 121
    steel pipe

China seems to be taking all the good steel for there economic boom and we are left with junk.
    I made a huge mistake buying a piece of 1/2 steel at home depot for a quick gas log job and lets just say it wasnt a quick gas log after all!!!!!
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    chipping threads

I had the same promblem not to long ago even went home and got my own set of dies and cutter it ended up being the latter .Change the cutting wheel and the rollers and maybe try cutting your pipe a little slower don,t crank down so hard since i've changed the cuuting wheel and roller no promblem i believe it is because the cutter is leaving a ridge on the outside of the pipe which seems to force the intinal die to cut into the pipe a little deeper then it,s suppose to and the extra materal ends up chiping the thread and carries ot down the line this just what i,ve ran into lattley good luck and peace clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • jbplumber
    jbplumber Member Posts: 89
    link to pipe ( thread )

how about that for a mixed metaphor?

here it is;

http://forums.invision.net/Thread.cfm?CFID=896560&CFTOKEN=b16b11-1ff8b0be-8a27-40a2-bc1f-fe03d52f1f35&CFApp=2&&Message_ID=6097&_#Message6097

interesting side note, just about any spec. graded
    commodity item, pipe, wire, valve or what have you
    that "calls out" a spec. such as ansi, astm, ieee
    will be "marked as such".

in what i do i deal with the stuff Tony describes,
    not much of a worry...ever!

howevever, as a homeowner and landlord i worry plenty..
    about the lack of knowledge in the box shifters, supply
    houses and contractors in the "bungalow bustin" end.

most people don't know the difference anymore, if they
    even did to begin with?

tis a shame

• Tony Conner_2
    Tony Conner_2 Member Posts: 443
    Good News, Bad News

The good news is, there's probably only one mill still kicking out the A53F crap. Most producers have gone to A53A ERW. The bad news is, much of the A53A is no better than "F", and sometimes, as hard as it is to believe - worse. We had to install a bit of 1-1/2" A53A galvanized on a job recently. Brittle, hard to thread junk. It was horrible to work with. The steam side of the same job was 1-1/2" sch 80 A106B. Same dies, same oil, same guys. That stuff threaded just fine.
  • Sibtain
    Sibtain Member Posts: 1
    Rolled threaded Pipes

Have your tried Rolled thread technology for Pipes. I have tried Rolled thread technology and I think this technology has made my Piping system life very long because of its quality and you guys are rite cut thread is very poor in quality and short in life
This discussion has been closed.