Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

D.W Whitehead

tommyoil
tommyoil Member Posts: 613
Has anyone ever heard of D.W Whitehead or what that name meant with regard to hot water heaters??? I worked for his daughter today( a very lovely old gal). She had a D.W.W Water heater still in use in her home. I commented on how old it was and she told me she was the heiress to the D.W.Whitehead fortune and that her father manufactured them. She broke out the old literature(which she would not part with) and told me that her father sold his water heater bus. to Koven boiler company of Jersey City N.J. in the 50's. I still service several Kovens. Anyhow, anyone ever heard of D.W. Whitehead water heaters?

Comments

• Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

Believe those were the REALLY good hot water heaters using a Monel tank. Perhaps even the ones that have the flue gasses leaving at the bottom.

They were expensive and made with the best available materials--life was VERY long in comparison to the disposable tank water heaters of today.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Professor Swampeast..

has it right! I collect old water heaters and have a Whitehead monel heater. I doubt it ever leaked. It's nicely made with a hinged cast iron combustion chamber door. They came up with an automatic sidearm heater as well,(with monel tank) which would have been good for reducing standby heat loss.
    It sure would be interesting to see the literature she has... I'm glad it exists anyway.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Believe that Tidbit Came From You, Larry

and the literature you sent after buying some of Dan's books to benefit your wife. It's still in the "reading room" about 2/3 of the way down the pile... Things in there seem to "stick". Maybe the brain shuts down the olfactory area and gives the excess to the memory portion.

Viessmann literature (Vitodens and solar) has the top right now.
  • tommyoil
    tommyoil Member Posts: 613
    Larry

I was hoping to hear from you on this. Thanks for your comments. I will try to get a hold of some of that literature for your viewing pleasure. I will have to wait until Mrs Ambrose(Whitehead)return from her full time residence. I actually worked in her sea-side vacation "cottage" and she only stops down for visits. The Remingtons (as in firearms) are her neighbors. Its some neighborhood. I'll keep you posted.
  • Larry Weingarten

• Larry Weingarten

• Larry Weingarten
    heater tag

Hello: Here's a tag from their sidearm heater. It's really quality equipment. Thanks for helping me out.
  • Dave Palmer_3
    Dave Palmer_3 Member Posts: 388
    HEAVY

a few electrics still around. Big monsters about 350lb's. Cement or stone lined. Dave
This discussion has been closed.