Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Riello oil burner repair kit. Bought in 1995

Options
I bought a Riello Oil Burner repair kit in 1995. Never had to use kit until last year to replace a new Riello Oil Burner oil pump which had a small shaft seal leak.Burner came with a new Buderus Boiler. Original pump came set for one pipe system which is the way most if not all new pumps come set from the factory in the USA.Tech. installed pump from repair kit thinking he did not have to install by-pass plug for two pipe system. No warnings,or tags about by-pass plug which in 1995 when kit was purchased,came installed in pump. Complete oil burner installation manual that came with kit did have a short sentence about having to take by-pass plug out if using on one pipe system. To make a long story short,pump was installed on one pipe system with factory installed by-pass plug insalled. Burner did not start. Tech.removed,turned shaft with small adjustable wrench ,thinking it was tight from being in truck for seven years. Re-installed pump,burner started right up,cycle on/off several time. O.K. No leakage. Next day owners son stops in to check house since mom away. A couple drops of oil. Thought was leftover from previouse leak. Mom comes home next day to one to two inches oil on floor,some down celler drain etc.$130,000 later, no one wants to pay,(homeowners,or business insurance). Anyone else have this problem. Do people+HVAC Companies realize Home owners and Business insurance do not cover oil leaks due to a pollution exclusion. Home heating oil is classified as a pollutant.Owner had to take out second mortgage for clean-up,out of house for over a year. I can not to this day find insurance I can afford as a small buisness,nor can Massachusetts home owners. How is your indoor or underground tank in your own house?

Comments

• Firedragon_4
    Firedragon_4 Member Posts: 1,436
    Options
    Have you looked at the SPLASH program?

BTW, that single line tag is enough to cover the OEM's backside, sorry!
  • I didn't know it could run like that

Riello used to ship all their knockdown oil burners with the bypass plug installed . More than a few times did I , or other guys forget to pull the bypass on a one pipe system . Every time we forgot we could tell very quick - the motor would run for 1 or 2 seconds , then just stop dead . I'm not too smart about the inner workings of a pump , but I thought the pump would leak or the burner would stop way before a few cycles ?
  • Firedragon_4
    Firedragon_4 Member Posts: 1,436
    Options
    You're right Ron, but withh by-pass pumps

it won't blow on start up, it will blow when the valve makes.
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    HMMMMMM,

Maybe that's why they moved to a "single pipe" setup, and moved the bypass to the pump cover for easy insertion in the last few(? maybe more ?) years.

The first time I saw this, there were headlines posted on the cover of the install manual stating it, but Mr. Dragon is right. It was a "blurb" in the old manuals because they were "all shipped that way". The bypass plug and a wrench to install it, now come in the bag with all the fuel unit connections.There is also a card in said pouch with instructions. I bet they got bit by this a few times and decided to ship to the North American market this way.

Sorry that someone had to learn this the hard way.I guess it just lends creedence to the fact that instruction manuals are STILL something to read and not something to keep your knees clean during a call or install.Chris
  • eleft_4
    eleft_4 Member Posts: 509
    Options

• J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Mr.Granger,(Ken),

Sent me a message. I still can't figure how to get it here, and have asked him to try to post it.

For all of us in Ma., there are some surprizing insurance company stances that he has experienced. Fair warning....READ your policy like an install manual! There are some things that could be taken as "gospel", that are fully outlined in them and OBVIOUSLY overlooked. CYA brothers! Chris
This discussion has been closed.