Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Crawlspace question

Options
Wild Bill
Wild Bill Member Posts: 112
If you were to run a wet zone leg off a steam boiler, and the loop zoned off condensate was in a crawlspace (albeit a well insulated one), would it be appropriate to add glycol to the system??? Would it affect the boiler's ability to "steam"??
Thanks for the input.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Don't even think about it

The water won't stay in the boiler when you make steam.

Noel
  • Geno_15
    Geno_15 Member Posts: 158
    Options
    steam crawl

Noel is right. It will affect the boilers ability to make steam and will eventually get diluded. I'm not sure but I think it will foam like crazy. If your radiators are vented it will also smell. Insulate the pipes very well and make sure they understand that when it's cold they need to run that zone. I've seen more people freeze up because they set back the temp or run a woodstove. Keep your pipes hot!
  • Wild Bill
    Wild Bill Member Posts: 112
    Options

Makes sense to me, thanks gentlemen!
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Or better yet,

Run a side arm or flat plate with a seperate water side. Charge and fill as a normal zone of baseboard and glycol to your hearts content.

Not the cheap way, by any means, but if it was asked to be addressed, it may be a problem. Chris
  • ernie_3
    ernie_3 Member Posts: 191
    Options
    agree w' JCA

Flat plate is rhe way to go. A little more $ up front but no hassle 'down the road'. Just finished one , Plate w' loop off of staemer. Smith CI is a nice staemer as it has specific tapping to do this.
This discussion has been closed.