Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What gas pressure does your utility supply

Options
tim smith_2
tim smith_2 Member Posts: 184
Just a question I am trying to define. We only get 6" w.c. at the outlet of our meter and are seeing higher than this required on some high efficiency equipment that is coming on the market. I am forwarding this to our utilities commision for the State as I hear. Thanks in advance, Tim.

Comments

• bob_25
    bob_25 Member Posts: 97
    Options
    I believe

7"w.c. +/- is pretty standard. In some areas you can request 2PSI. even for residential service. bob
  • jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    Options
    New Houses

Run on 2 psi system here with the older homes on water colum 6/7 WC J.Lockard
  • tim smith_2
    Options
    psi vs \"\"

They want to charge a fortune for psi set on an upgrade system. I find this to be a problem?? Tim.
  • jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    Options
    Spring

Tim -- The Gas Company changes the spring on the regulator at the meter and you have 2PSI gas delivery. You the contractor will have to set up the appliances with step down regulators and make sure your piping is tight and true.
    15 PSI air test required here. J.Lockard
  • MIKE6
    MIKE6 Member Posts: 102
    Options
    gas press

Our utility supplies 6''wc as a standard.But let me explain.We have an old distribution system in some areas.This means the mains only have 6''wc.So they are unable to deliver more.This has been a problem for years.On a cold day the main may only have 4''wc.I've seen it go down to 2.5''.So allot of heating problems are due to low gas press.If you are in an area that has pounds of gas in the main a regulator is used to step down the gas to whatever press you apply for.The most common press after 6'' is 1 pound,then 2 pounds.I designed a system for 14''wc once after allot of bs from the utility it was approved.The billing factors change with pressures.I wouldn't count on the state to mandate a press upgrade to accomodate a feww new heaters .On a system that has pounds in the main it would be possible,on an old 6''wc main forgetaboutit.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Tim What equipment??

Is it residential or commercial equipment?

Here in New England on low pressure systems the pressure is 7 to 10" WC in the mains. In the winter there are times when pressures may drop below 4" WC. When equipment is designed for pressures above 6" or 7" WC it presents a problem. It would cost millions of dollars to completely upgrade those old systems to high pressure so it is just not going to happen.

On intermeidate pressure systems 3lbs to 5lbs it would require the utility to change the spring in the regulators to give higher pressure. It would however require changing the regulators for all the other equipment or installing Maxitrol lbs to inches regulators for all other equipment.

On high pressue systems up to 100lbs pressure the same would hold as for intermediate pressure.

I am very curious as to what equipment is asking for higher pressures???

In the past some equipment stated that the minimum inlet pressure had to be 6" WC or it would not fire. The utility I worked for in that case did not allow that equipment to be installed on any low pressure lines.
  • tim smith_2
    Options
    equiment type

Munchkin likes to see 7" w.c. per their spec. Burnham Evolution likes to see 9". The latter is a commercial boiler. But most of our systems out here are 2-5 psi to the meter but they still won't change the spring or adjust up due to the coefficient of gas for billing purposes.
  • MikeB34
    MikeB34 Member Posts: 155
    Options
    When I

Worked at the gas utility here, there were 4 supply pressures, Low 7"wc (being phased out.) low IP 35 psi to the home and regulated to 7"wc (normal distribution in urban areas) high IP 65-110# regulated to 35-55 at the road and again at the home to 7"wc (rural distribution where the house is WAY back from the road) and high pressure (over 110# mains and commercial supply.

Interior building pressure will vary depending on requirements. Most residential applications meter to 7"wc before disposition toi the appliance. 1,2,5,10 and 20# systems are for larger distribution within a building, but will be metered down before the appliance.

Mike
  • Unknown
    Options
    Tim Smith, the pressures

required for the Munchkin will suffice with 6" WC pressure. The proof is that a lot of them I have seen are running on 6" WC without a problem. You can confirm that with Heat Transfer Products.

The Revolution is not a commercial boiler it is residential unless something has changed. The required pressure for the Revolution from page 51 of their manual is 4.5" WC minimum inlet pressure. That is from thier publication 8140603R12-1/03. You can confirm that with Glenn Stanton from Burnham who posts here often.

Hope that solves your problem. Manufacturers pretty much have to comply with what gas utilities can give them on a national basis. We do have some pounds systems being used with CSST but it still has to drop to inches pressure before going to the equipment.
  • Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
    Options
    Oh if only it was that simple!

Gas companies frequently run two sets of mains in the street. They call one "UP" that stands for utilization pressure. In that application they only have ~7" w.c. in the main and therefore do not need a regulator. They hang the meter typically inside the building/home - to prevent meter freezing, and direct feed the ~7" to the house appliances. Much of the time there is EP in the street as well - or instead of UP. EP stands for "elevated pressure."

EP can be anything from 1 p.s.i. up to and/or over 10 p.s.i.

We frequently request 1 or 2 or 5 p.s.i. When doing so, the utility throws in a meter and regulator and we can size pipe and equip,ment regulators for whatever the equipment we install requires.

So, in our area we can get ~7" w.c., or EP and ask for whatever we actually need. If it's in the street, we can get anything up to 10 p.s.i. max. Actually getting 10# usually requires some serious justification, but they'll do it for a large enough load e.g., like the GM plant in Linden, NJ

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    mmanske
  • Mark J Strawcutter
    Mark J Strawcutter Member Posts: 625
    Options
    Meters and pressure

My understanding is that residential gas meters measure volume with no compensation for differing pressures. If so, then isn't the customer getting screwed when the pressure drops to 4"wc during winter heavy load?

Hopefully my understanding is incorrect.

Mark
  • Greg Swob
    Greg Swob Member Posts: 167
    Options
    basically, yes

Gas meters are temperature compensated, so customer is not shorted depending upon high/low outdoor temps, but not pressure compensated. Here, residential meter sets are placed into service at 7" w.c. "operating". A load is placed on the meter during it's installation/ upgrade, replacement for testing, etc. using a test device and the regulator is set per gauge on the test device. In cases of lengthy yard lines the meter loop regulator may be set for lbs. to compensate for line losses with another regulator placed at the dwelling for 7"w.c. reduction. 10# meter sets are not at all uncommon for large loads. There are no mains with end use (7" w.c.) pressures in this area. Additional expenses of upgrading pressures in an existing line are inspection and testing of the piping. DOT requries different testing pressures for lines depending on system design, maximum allowable operating pressure, system mean yield strength, etc. Greg
  • Mark J Strawcutter
    Options
    old residential neighborhood

I grew up in the country where we had our own well. 20psi from well to house (half mile of 1" line) then regulator at house down to operating pressure.

Where I live now is an old residential neighborhood. No regulators at the house. Mains run at operating pressure.

I suspect I should invest in a wc guage and check it from time to time.

Mark
  • Christian Egli
    Christian Egli Member Posts: 277
    Options
    Midwest

We have 30 PSI under the street, 7 in water for residential and 11 in water for commercial in my part of the town which was developped around the Second World War.

I measure 11.25 in in my building and I have my own pressure reducer before the meter, so I am not affected by the neighbor's usage.

What I think is more difficult to control is the heat content of the natural gas, nominaly 100,000 BTU per CCF, but how far off does it go from there?

I know utilities keep LPG in storage for times of high demand, and when they add the LPG to the NG they add air to the mixture to keep the heat content at 100,000. But how far off does that number deviate up or down?
  • Greg Swob
    Options

In our state, gas utility providers must include any energy conversion factors displayed in the billing statement. Your statements may include such a line item.
    This can vary from day to day and the average for that billing cycle is placed on the billing document.
    Greg
  • tim smith_2
    Options
    Tim, i wrote Evolution not Revolution

Also, what we found from our utility is they supply 6" at meter outlet which means alot of the existing systems are only seeing 5" or so at meter, 5.5" if sized to UPC with a .5" drop.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Tim Smith, I did some checking today

I can not find an Evolution boiler made by Burnham????? Is it brand new???? I was just at the factory and they did not talk about it????

As for pressure the utility providing 6" WC at the outlet of the meter should be more than adequate for any residential application. The allowable loss of .5 is calcualted into meter design and if piping is sized correctly you should have the same 6" WC pressure at the farthest appliance. The piping tables have allowable loss factors of either .3" WC or .5" WC these tables should provide for adequate piping as long as fittings are also calcualted into the sizing problem.

Pressure problems in most areas are not a continuing problem. They usually occur when peak demand is made on the system in extreme cold weather. In the older cities that still have cast iron systems with low pressure less tha 1/2 LB usually 7" to 10" WC.

I really do not think this is a problem for residental systems. For commercial systems you may need higher pressures depending on equipment design. In my sons new house we had to have a seperate meter with higher pressure for his natural gas generator. The local utility handled it with out a problem.

The question about low pressure affecting the customers meter measurement. The meter will only measure as much gas as can pass through it. If the pressure is lower then BTU's to equipment is affected and greater demand may be placed on the system but you are still only paying for what goes thorough the meter. As I mentioned earlier this is not a wide spread or frequent problem. When mixing of propane and air takes place when demand is high the same quality of gas supply is tried to be met. In many areas of the country during peak demand they use LNG (liquified natural gas) to satisfy peak demand. The quality of LNG is exactly the same as natual gas as it is just vaporized into the piping distribution system.
  • tim smith_2
    Options
    Evolution

Tim, this boiler is a subsidiary of Burnham, bought by them some time in the last 2 years. Ceramic down shot burner, appx 88% efficiency.
  • joel_4
    joel_4 Member Posts: 42
    Options
    gas

gas or lack of it is a HUGE problem west of Boston .they keep putting in new developments and just tapping off the old line that's been in the main street for 50 years! It is a problem for residential burners esp those with inshot burners. We see as little as 2.10" water when we should have at least 5 what gets me is the gas company can't keep up with the customers they have and they still give equipment away for free conversions!!! it's about time the goverment put a stop to it.
  • Mark J Strawcutter
    Options
    volume measurement

Tim, I'm still a bit confused. Doesn't the meter measure volume - regardless of pressure?

Doesn't a cubic foot of NG at 3.5"wc contain fewer molecules (less BTUs) than a cubic foot at 7"wc?

So wouldn't the same meter measurement give the customer different amounts of usable product at the two different pressures?

Thanks as always for your explanations

Mark
  • tim smith_2
    Options
    volume vs pressure

Mark, gas meters are calibrated to a specific pressure. If the pressure going through them is higher the customer is getting free gas. I discussed this with the gas co. quite awhile ago but can't exactly remember the explanation of why this is so. I think its that there is a vane in the meter that spins, if the pressure is higher the meter would still spin at the same rate but a higher volume would be traveling through.
  • Mark J Strawcutter
    Options
    an if the pressure is lower

the customer is getting cheated. That is my understaning but Tim McElwain's comments seem to indicate otherwise.

Mark
  • Unknown
    Options
    American Meter

engineering division answered me this way. Let us say an AC-250 meter designed to measure between 60 cubic feet to 250 cubic feet will with any pressure applied within those operating parameters operate with an accuracy of within .1%, when flow goes below the 60 cubic foot level down to say a gas pilot the accuracy goes to .3%. When flow exceeeds the capacity of the meter or at capacity it moves faster and its accuracy favors the customer at about .3%. So all domestic meters are set up to be very accurate relative to the flow through the meter. The curve of accurcy relative to pressure and flow is designed to balance out over the operating parameters of the meter. It is however a very small difference. The only affect pressure has is to decrease flow to the appliance. The specific gravity and BTU content do not change.

The accuracy of meters has to be within + or - 2% over a 7 to 10 year period. They are usaully removed and tested somewhere with in that time frame. Most local public utility departments require this accuracy.

Larger meters used for commercial and industrial use may have correctors placed on the meters in order to make measurement more accurate especilly with high flow. In some cases diaphragm meters can not be used and rotary meters are more accurate.

Just about all meters today are temperature compensated to measure as though the temp was always 60 degrees.

Reduced pressure does not always cause a definite problem as long as the pressure stays within required outlet pressure say 3.5" WC + allowable loss through the gas valve (a maximum of 1" WC). so if 4 to 4.5" WC can be maintained at the inlet the equipment will function correctly.

Just one other point that I agree with and that is the increased sale/give away of gas equipment including decorative appliances (very inefficient). The failure to determine if the gas distribution system can maintain such increases needs to be addressed. With the present cost of gas and inability in certain areas to maintain pressure in high demand periods should curtail the use of decorative appliances, pool heaters, gas lights etc. We also should not be using natural gas to produce electricity.
  • tim smith_2
    Options
    lower pressure

If the pressure is lower then yes the customer receives less btus.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Tim and Tim

The Evolution boiler is made by Thermal Solutions which is a division of Burnham Holdings. I'm not sure where this job is located, but to date, I know of no areas where the gas pressure has been insufficient for these to operate since the pressure to the meter is generally greater than 9" w.c. in most areas. My suggestion would to be to contact Kim LaBarre at Thermal Solutions and discuss this with him. He can be reached through our main switchboard at (717) 397-4701 at extension 3605. I have also attached the link to the Thermal Solutions website. Hope this helps.

http://www.thermalsolutions.com

Glenn Stanton

Burnham Hydronics
  • tim smith_2
    Options
    Re: Thermal solutions

Glenn, I am not having a problem with an evolution, what I am having a problem with is getting Appropriate gas supply pressures from local utilities for the newer equipment coming out that specifically state higher gas pressures than the utility in Washington is willing to pass through a Inches meter. They say they will only give 6" max at the meter. Now I know that they will install a Lbs. set to feed the equipment, but at a $7000.00 charge for the larger jobs. PS this is in replacement markets where there is no added load but efficiency upgrade. We have 5psi at the meters but they will not bump up to say 7-9". Due to the calibrated meters.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Tim Smith and Glenn

I must say Glenn that other than low pressure areas that have say 7" to 10" WC unregulated then getting more than 6" WC at the outlet of the meter in high pressure areas is a problem. The utilities are very hesitant to boost regulated pressures above that point. They will for a charge (usually high) give elevated pressure for special commercial and industrial applications. If the gas into a commercial area is already set up for higher pressure some 2lb and 5lb systems after the metering it is not a problem and you can get special appliance regulators from Maxitrol to give higher pressures at the equipment.

My son was able in Rehobeth, Mass (Bay State Gas) able to get a special regulator/meter set up for his natural gas generator to get 14" WC pressure. It took a little calling in of some favors to get it done.
  • Greg Swob
    Options
    I find that so 'interesting'

How does or why does the state gas regulatory commission allow this? I understand the state can't be aware of every move made by a utility firm, but surely there are audits of low pressure, leak and other calls. Surely then, red flags would arise. Here, you don't see products given away. If a utility is found to be possibly funding or supporting their non regulated (stuff other than gas/electrical commodity, such as an HVAC or other retail division) from their regulated services(ie- gas commodity) heads WILL ROLL. How can a utility be so unresponsible, anyway? If their infrastructure can't support existing loads, how/why on earth are they adding to that load without addressing the issue? Has anyone complained to the state authority? Or is the industry completely unregulated in Mass.? Just curious and glad to be where I am. Greg
This discussion has been closed.