Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

NEED HELP!

Options
Kal Row
Kal Row Member Posts: 1,520
http://www.slantfin.com/hydronic/index.html
and order it

Comments

• Dave Merklein
    Dave Merklein Member Posts: 61
    Options
    NEED HELP !

I am dealing with a major mess, My question is, I have a 1533 Sq FT house thats 50 yrs old with large leaded glass windows (very leaky), good insulation in attic. I recently had a new steam boiler installed. It is rated for 200,000 BTU. now the flue size is to large for my chimney it does not meet code plus the water heater is tee'd in there too. so Im told I may need to do a direct vent for the water heater. what size boiler seems right for my size house???
  • Earthfire_2
    Earthfire_2 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    steam boiler size

you need to figure the connected radiations EDR and size the boiler accordingly. Go to "Books and more" and order this book: "E.D.R. - Ratings for Every Darn Radiator (and convector) you'll probably ever see" . It will help you do it properly. Also get this one: "The Lost Art Of Steam Heating (Special Anniversary Edition)". It will help you figure out the proper way to install your boiler and the care and feeding of your system, so to speak. This will give the info you need to know if the install is correct and what needs to be done to fix any shortcomings.

• jimmy_2
    jimmy_2 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    help

How far are you over rated on your chimmney? You can side wall vent the water heater to decrease btu from the chimmney, field controls and tjuerand (unsure on the spelling) makes a kit able to do that.You will loose 40,000 plus btu up the chimmney.It will cost ya about 450 in parts + labor.
  • Dave Merklein
    Options

Thanks, that is one option we are considering
  • Ted_9
    Ted_9 Member Posts: 1,718
    Options

Who sized the boiler?

Why would they install a 200,000 btu boiler and not know if they could vent it?
  • Dave Merklein
    Options

I cant find any one who knows steam in my area (Milwaukee, WI )
  • Dave Merklein
    Options

I am waiting to here from the contractor to see how we are dealing with the mess. should I be counting on the contractor to make this right because it does not meet code. and If I need to direct vent my water heater should they be liable for that as well???
  • RELY
    RELY Member Posts: 33
    Options
    power vent existing chimney

Field control makes a combo power vent for Hot water heater and boiler that uses 4" zflex and will handle both up your existing chimney.2nd it would be safer because draft must be present for the equipment to run,this is just another option.SOUNDS LIKE YOU NEED TO VERIFY RADIATION 1ST !!!!!
  • steve_41
    steve_41 Member Posts: 1
    Options

there is a thread on HeatingHelp.com concerning tjerlund that you might want to read before going that route

http://forums.invision.net/Thread.cfm?CFApp=2&Thread_ID=14549&mc=16
  • Dave Merklein
    Options

any other thoughts????
  • Dave Merklein
    Options

contractor is consulting the manufacturer about a fix
  • Dave Merklein
    Options

contractor just contacted me, they want to powervent, I dont know all the details yet
  • jimmy_2
    jimmy_2 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    The help

How over sized are you on chimmney? What is the chimmney BTU? I can understand that you'r upset..Nobody wants to deal with red tags, install... some things are missed and over seen, it does happen. We're all here to help one an other.You'r boiler is over sized. Lets fix the problem. They will not replace it with a smaler one. So now we will have to think about a service fix.Tell us the BTU of you'r chimmney, detailes brother? All of us on this site can make it to code!!and we're miles away!!EDR's will not help at this momnent! over and done with!!installed..
  • Boilerpro_3
    Boilerpro_3 Member Posts: 1,231
    Options
    Not over and done with!

If they installed the wrong size boiler, they should take it out and install the correct size. There is no excuse for installing an incorrectly sized steam boiler. Measuring radiation is about the simpliest thing that can be done in the heating profession.

An incorrectly sized boiler can do the following:

Increase gas bills
    Decrease boiler life
    Decrease comfort
    Cause water hammer
    Make the air vents howl
    Make the air vents fail early

I'me sure the steam experts at this site can add many items to this list.

Definitely check that boiler size against the radiation and whether the piping is insulated. If the boiler is too big and a smaller one installed, your chimney may no longer be a problem. A power vent unit is just another thing to go wrong. If you don't need it with a properly sized boiler, then don't do it.

Some pictures of the installation would probably be a good thing for folks here to see.

Boilerpro

• Dave Merklein
    Options

If you want pics see my old posts " is this bad (pics)" and "new boiler old system" any other thoughts would be great.
  • Boilerpro_3
    Boilerpro_3 Member Posts: 1,231
    Options
    I thought I recogized you

I'm a few hours aways in North central Illinois.

Good luck on this latest challenge.

Boilerpro
  • Bud_14
    Bud_14 Member Posts: 200
    Options
    There are

several great companies that know steam in the Milwaukee Area..who you kidding :)

You may be in a jam and thats unfortunate, but to say there is no one in Milwaukee that knows steam? I know plenty, Email me privatly and I will give you names if you still want them...

Bud
  • SINKDOC
    SINKDOC Member Posts: 2
    Options
    oversized boiler

I agree with boilerpro if the boiler was installed incorrectly then the installer should correct it. That is why we are pros.
  • Dave Merklein
    Options

the installers solution is to power vent my existing chimney. I am not totally sold on this idea.
  • Dave Merklein
    Options

power vent is in and working any one know of a way to quiet things down a bit. I will try insulation and acoustical tile where I am able. this is just below our living room.
  • Kal Row
    Kal Row Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    another nail in the coffin

for natural draft boilers, pretty soon there will only be seald combustion availiable

you would first have to blanket it with hi temp insulation and then surround that with sound-felt, just search google for "sound insulation" - have fun
This discussion has been closed.