Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What is

Options
steve_38
steve_38 Member Posts: 74
the best way to flare 3/8ths copper tubbing?

Comments

• kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    I use my ....

Ridgid flaring tool...they have 2 types. A two piece and a 1 pc. Make sure you ream out the tube before flaring to get a good joint. kpc

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • steve_38
    steve_38 Member Posts: 74
    Options
    Thanks

for your response K Coppinger. i just like to hear other techniques. i have an imperial flaring tool and what i do is i reem the tubbing and then file it down a bit and then flare it. usually i don't have oil leaks and if i do have a slight oil leak on a fitting it would suprise me, i guess i have faith in my flareing. i never used a rigid flaring tool i'll have to check that one out.
    although i do like my imperial...! Thank you Steve
  • Cosmo_2
    Cosmo_2 Member Posts: 43
    Options
    what the flare

I bought one of those one piece clamp type flare tools from yellow jacket about ten years ago. I had to weld the flare nose to the shaft, but it has worked great and is a lot quicker that my old Ridgid two piece...

Cosmo

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Cosmo_2
    Cosmo_2 Member Posts: 43
    Options
    what the flare

I bought one of those one piece clamp type flare tools from yellow jacket about ten years ago. I had to weld the flare nose to the shaft, but it has worked great and is a lot quicker than my old Ridgid two piece...

Cosmo

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Dave Palmer_3
    Dave Palmer_3 Member Posts: 388
    Options
    Rigid

I was the same way,tried of tiny leaks, bought a Rigid (about $100)thought it was steep but I would never go to anything else. Well worth the price, Dave
  • Earthfire
    Earthfire Member Posts: 543
    Options
    Flare leaks

a few times I've had to deal with leaking flares that couldn't be cut and reflared. Used flare washers and leak lock. Even works on refrigeration lines. Flare washers are soft cooper & available at refrigeration supplyhouses like R.E.Michel. I like the Rigid flare tool with the occilating cone, and double flare's guaranty no leaks.
This discussion has been closed.