Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Merry Christmas

From Bud and Family...

This letter came in the mail,Just wanted to share it with everyone.

A soldiers Night Before Christmas
Words by Corporal James M. Schmidt

Twas the night before Christmas, he lived all alone,
In a one-bedroom house made of plaster and stone.
I had come down the chimney with presents to give,
And to see just who in this home did live.

I looked all about, a strange site I did see, no tinsel, no parents,
Not even a tree. No stocking by mantle, just boots filled with sand,
On the wall hung pictures of far distant lands. With medals and Badges, awards of all kinds, a sober thought came through my mind.

For the house was different, it was dark and dreary; I found the home of a soldier, once I could see clearly. The soldier lay sleeping, silent, alone, curled up on floor in this one bedroom home.

The face was so gentle, the room in such disorder, not how I pictured a United States Soldier. Was this the hero of whom I just read? Curled up on a poncho, the floor for his bed?

I realized the families that I saw this night, owed their lives to these soldiers who were willing to fight. Soon round the world, the children would play, and grown ups would celebrate a bright Christmas day.

They all enjoyed freedom each month of the year, because of the soldiers, like the one lying here. I couldn’t help wonder how many lay alone, on a cold Christmas eve in a land far from home.

The very thought brought a tear to my eye, I dropped to my knees and started to cry. The soldier awakened and I heard a rough voice, “Santa don’t cry, this life is my choice; I fight for freedom, I don’t ask for more, My life is my God, my country, my corps.”

The soldier rolled over and drifted to sleep, I couldn’t control it, I continued to weep. I kept watch for hours, so silent and still and we both shivered from the cold nights chill. I didn’t want to leave on that cold, dark, night, this guardian of honor so willing to fight.
Then the soldier rolled over, with a voice soft and pure, whispered,

“Carry on Santa, it’s Christmas day, all is secure.”

One look at my watch, I knew he was right.
Merry Christmas my Friend, And to all a good night.

Comments

• MikeB34
    MikeB34 Member Posts: 155
    Beautiful

As a reg force retiree and active reservist here in Canada, that was beautiful.

Merry Christmas, safe and happy holidays to everyone.

Mike B
  • That says it all Bud

thanks for that.
  • Paul Rohrs
    Paul Rohrs Member Posts: 357
    Thanks Bud.

As a former enlisted Regular Army. Thanks.

PR
This discussion has been closed.