Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wetheads, Check out this project. MN

This is a very interesting job, The house is a slab on grade with a twist, There is a partial basement, It almost looks like a commerical job but it is not. We used a lot of Uni-strut for all the piping, Drains, Water, Gas and Heating the project looks pretty cool. The house is about 4000sq ft, We are just waiting for rough inspections so they can insulate and then we can fire up the system.

Comments

• Paul Rohrs
    Paul Rohrs Member Posts: 357
    One word......

Oo lah lah......

Okay that was three words. Very nice work. Usually don't see that much steel I-beam and strut unless it is a commercial job. Very nice. The word "Fortress" comes to mind.

Regards,

PR

• Mike Norgan_3
    Mike Norgan_3 Member Posts: 105
    Fortress

Paul,
    I guess it was needed for all the weight of the concrete. We installed most of the anchors before the concrete was poured, made life easier. I think the owner, When he has company over will show them the basement first [grin]. The project is alot of fun to do because it is different from the norm. I can't wait till we fire up the system. The whole house is going to be tile.

Mike Norgan
  • tombig
    tombig Member Posts: 291
    Slab

I guess you really can't call that slab "on grade". Is the white brick wall appearance a face brick or integral with the structure? Awesome idea to set the hangers before the pour!! I've got to remember that one! Drilling through poured deck is never easy...drill bit wise. Hammer thru the steel with carbide or waste some high speed bits??? Always been a dillemma especially if the deck is heavy gage
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Make sure...

they insulate the bottom of the panning or you'll be back on the carpet explaining why their basement is 85 and the upstairs can't get above 62..

They make an insulation that conforms to the panning.

Beauty job, eh:-)

ME
  • Mike Norgan_3
    Insulation

Mark,
    Where can I get that type of insulation. Also the basement will be heated and all exterior walls are about 10'in from the outer walls for the house, so I'm thinking it will not be that bad. Thanks for the info.

Mike Norgan
  • Mike Norgan_3
    Wall construction

Goebig,

It is part of the wall system. And yes it saves on eating dust for most of the day.

Mike Norgan
  • Andy_6
    Andy_6 Member Posts: 48

Looks great. Good to see another contractor taking pride in their work in MN. What part of MN are you from?
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Insulation

I have the exact problem ME mentioned on a job another contractor installed. The entire job was a slab on span deck over steel truss. Even the trusses get warm! The basement stats (slab on grade) are turned completly off and the rooms still over heat from the steel radiant ceilings!

I would use a spray foam. I had a plate job done with Isoneyne recently due to a tough to insulate install. They sprayed 3" directly against the floor and plates. It has been working great as the ceiling has not yet been insulated and we can measure and feel the lack of downard loss.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mike Norgan_3
    Andy

We are located in Michigan, and thanks for taking the time to look at my project.

Mike Norgan
  • George_10
    George_10 Member Posts: 580
    Mike

What kind of cleaner and tretment are you using before you put this beautiful system into service?
  • Check with...

The deck manufacturer. They generally partner up with an insulation manufacturer.

ME
  • Mike Norgan_3
    George

None to date, Why shoulod I be.

Mike Norgan
  • RB_2
    RB_2 Member Posts: 272
    BEFORE YOU INSULATE !!!!

Make sure ventilation, second stage air heating , A/C ducting, chilled water, domestic cold water lines etc. are thermally isolated from the floor heating.

Last thing anyone wants is to explain why the cold water isn't cold, and why we have to cool the ventilation air in the middle of winter.

It happens!

rb
  • Mike Norgan_3
    Insulation

RB,
    I will be insulating the cold water lines. The home owner is using the Unico system for cooling.

Mike Norgan
  • RB_2
    RB_2 Member Posts: 272
    Good Mike - Smart Move.

Glad to see the domestic lines will be insulated…

General discussion not necessarily related to Mike’s project:

I've been on jobs where long runs of un-insulated return air on a hybrid system followed an un-insulated radiant floor and picked up so much heat by the time it hit the face of the make up air coil it needed cooling in the middle of winter.

It's the worst situation to be in...as long as the air is moving the temperature is uncontrollable, on this forensic contract we measured 110 deg. F. discharge air (design was for 65 deg. F.)… choices are turn off the ventilation system, turn off the floor system or rip out the ceiling and insulate the ducts. Client paid for warm floors, ventilation in this region is required by code…can you guess what needed to happen to fix the problem…sad part was the insulation was in the building specifications and contracts…

Then there are the jobs with high temperature supply lines to pool heat exchangers or reheat coils sharing the same un-insulated space as cooling or ventilation ducts...200 ft of un-insulated 1.25" copper at 180 deg. f. is not a good thing to share with any air system.

There are also many jobs where cold water lines are "sprayed" in with the heating system and customers can't figure out why the cold is hot.

My favorite is running un-insulated exhaust air ducts through heated floor spaces...customer not only pays to heat it up once as it comes into the home, she pays to heat it up a second time as its exhausted out the building.

Comfort and efficiency standards are constantly evolving, and this influences the evolution of hybrid systems. When designers/installers are playing with air (ventilation, cooling, second stage heat) and water (first stage heat, domestic, pools, towel warmers etc..) make sure you watch out for the thermal landmines…

rb
  • Be professional. Clean & treat system fluid.

Mike,

Don't skimp on the final and most important step when commissioning your new system.
    "Even the best installers leave behind skid marks!" (hr)

You should listen to George. check out www.rhomarwater.com

You have installed some of the finest equipment on the planet. Why not finish the job? Way too many professional heating installations lack the proper fluid in their beautifull creations.

The entire Hydronic industry as a whole is mechanical in nature and not useually trained in water treatment. However, the entire life operation of the system is based on the chemistry of water. Without properly addressing this issue, system efficiency, overall life of the system along with customer satisfaction will be greatly reduced.

Use Hydro-Solv 9100 to clean the inside of the system. Follow up by treating final fill with Rhomar 922 treatment. You won't be sorry you did.

Gary

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.