Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gorton vs. Maid'o'Mist

Dear Hal,

I am a homeowner and not a professional, but I can tell you about my experience with the Maid O'Mist (MOM) vs. Gorton air vents.

I have used MOM air vents and an air eliminator and found them to be an inferior product that just don’t last or perform as well. I will not use this brand in my house at all.

Gorton and Hoffman's are both a good product. I have a gas steam system. For this Hoffman makes three size air vents for a radiator, as well as a fourth adjustable one. Gorton makes five different size air vents for radiators. Even though MOM and Gorton use the same size names, the orifices of the air vents are not equivalent to each other. In other words, a MOM Size D, does not equal a Gorton Size D. The Gorton vents about 1/3 more. Generally, I found in comparisons that the Gorton usually vents more.

Regarding the air eliminator, all the professionals on The Wall recommend the Gorton No. 2 hands down because there is nothing on the market that vents as quickly as this. The No. 2 is equal to four Gorton No. 1’s, or No. D’s. Hoffman makes a good product here too, but they don’t have anything that vents like the Gorton No. 2.

For your information, their websites are: www.gorton-valves.com and www.hoffmanspeciality.com.

Additionally, Ken at Gorton is a very helpful and knowledgeable person. He answers your questions regarding his products so that you can use Gorton products wisely in your home.

So, I guess it depends on what your needs are in terms of which brand product is right for you. I hope that I have helped. Take care.

Best regards,

~ Marguerite ~
From Brooklyn

Comments

• Hal
    Hal Member Posts: 55
    Gorton vs. Maid o Mist & Pipe pitch question...

In Dan's chart of vent sizes, the Gortons and Maid o Mists are in the same column and have the same specs.
    Are they identical, or merely comparable?

Many pros here recommend the Gortons. If the Maid o Mist equivalent is available, should I go ahead and use it, or seek out the Gorton?

Second question: In my basement there is a horizontal runout from the main that is pitched in the wrong direction. It appears the hanger has loosened, or the riser has slipped. I checked with a level. The associated riser is noisy, but there is no hammering in the poorly pitched runout section, which is about 2 feet of 1-1/2" pipe. It's easy to imagine that water in this section is getting blown into the riser and making the noises (not hammering, but whooshing and gurgling) in the riser. But I don't understand why there is no hammering on start-up in that section of pipe in the basement.
  • Hal

Thanks, Marguerite, that's a helpful reply.

Hal (also from Brooklyn)
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Comparing Maid O' Mist to Gorton's is like......................

comparing pizza made in some dinky Upstate New York town to pizza made in Bensonhurst...nolo contendre my friend. Gorton is King! Bushwick RULES!!! Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    info43
  • Your Welcome

Dear Hal,

You are very welcome. I am glad that I could help.

Where in Brooklyn do you live? I am in Marine Park.

Take care.

Best regards,

Marguerite
  • Very Funny

Hey Mad Dog,

You gave me a good laugh. Especially, after experiencing a Maid O'Mist. Even the name is not very convincing that it will do the job for an air vent that vents air for a steam system.

For some reason, I get visions of a milk maid milking a cow. It is that Maid O' part that does it.

Best regards,

~ Marguerite ~
    From Brooklyn

• Hal

Crown Heights.
    We (the wife and I) have a four story brownstone (1899) and rent the top floor.
    We're a little more than a mile from the new Net's arena.
    We're in the process of trying to get the most out of our heating plant.
    I don't think we'll see anothier winter this consistently cold for another ten years.
    We'll be replacing some windows this spring.
    I was born and raised in Queens, lived and worked in Manhattan for 25 years, then got married and bought the house in Brooklyn. We love it.
    Hal
  • Hal

Mad Dog, that comparison works perfectly for me. I used to work in the Adirondacks during the summer. The pizza went from the freezer to a small convection oven. Yuchh!

BTW, do you do any work in Brooklyn? I'm shopping for a steam guy that knows more than my plumber.

Hal
  • scrook_2
    scrook_2 Member Posts: 610
    nigiara falls...

and the boat that takes you up close to them is what always comes to my mind, cool and wet. Hmmm...
  • John R. Hall
    John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
    Comparisons

I kinda like Mrs. Paul over Gorton's (drum roll please).
  • Hal
    Rim shot

• Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    A good friend of the family name Timmie Stackpole

was from Marine Park - we lost him in the Towers - he was literally one of New Yorks Bravest. It was his 1st week back from 3 years of burn rehab in another fire. Left a wife and 5 kids behind. Also, my First Sergeant, From the State Guard lives there. Do you know either of them. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • GaryDidier
    GaryDidier Member Posts: 229
    UPSTATE

Hey, Mad Dog, whats wrong with upstate NY.
    Gary from Granville
  • Beautiful House

Dear Hal,

Beautiful house. Enjoy it in good health.

I've been in a few of the brownstones in the Park Slope area. Does yours have some of the original victorian decour, i.e. pocket doors? I love everything victorian.

Good luck.

Best regards,

~ Marguerite ~
    From Brooklyn
  • Hal

Thanks Mad Dog,

I'd like you to consult on my steam plant.
    Please see my email.

Hal
  • Hal

Thanks Margureite, and yes, we have details.

Some leaded glass windows, pocket doors on the parlor floor, oak panelling in the dining room etc. A lot of the woodwork was stripped of paint by the previous owner, some done very beatifully, some not. There are also some mantles in beautiful condition. We've been doing a combination of restoring, remodelling and renovating.

• Hal

Mad Dog, I don't know Timmie Stackpole. 9/11 touched a lot of people. Many are still in the process of regaining a foothold on normal life. My condolences.

Hal
This discussion has been closed.