Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant over sleepers

Options
chuck shaw
chuck shaw Member Posts: 584
I looked at a job today, slab on grade, it is an existing home. Homeowner wants raidiant. I know I have seen photos, but would love to see them again. Installing heat transfer plates, over the slab, with sleepers. Can anyone dig up a photo or two, and post them.

Thanks in advance.

Chuck Shaw

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=143&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• chuck shaw
    chuck shaw Member Posts: 584
    Options
    Ill ask again

if anyone has photos, or has done a system like this could you let me know how you went about it. Transferplates?sleeper spacing? Insulating the slab? any information would be helpful.

Thanks,

Chuck

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Wayco Wayne
    Wayco Wayne Member Posts: 615
    Options
    Hey Chuck

I'll get bqck to you tonight. I just did a job and may have pictures but they are still on my camera, which is in my work truck. I used Wirsbo joist track on top of a sub floor with 3/4 strips of plywood in between. Thermofin makes a U track plate that goes over the tubing and protects it from nails. I'll try to find those pics tonight. WW

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Michael_6
    Michael_6 Member Posts: 50
    Options
    over concrete

• Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 556
    Options
    Radiant-Trak on top

Chuck-

This project had a 1/2" ply put on top of the slab, vapor barrier and 3/8" Heat-Pex with Radiant-Trak space 8" on-center.

Hardwood floor is the finished floor covering, so the gaps in between the wood is not a big deal.

Rip all the ply beforehand into 7" strips by 4' long, or get the lumberyard to do that.

Lay down the first Radiant-Trak, then wood, then trak.....you get the idea, then bang 'em down tight and nail the ply to hold it all together.

Dave H
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    U fin works well

for an application like this. This job had foam then plywood over the old slab. It's nice, but not necessary, to have the aluminum transfer right against the finish flooring. this carpenter even relieved the plywood strips to allow the plates to flush out.

Radiant Engineering now overs Thin Fin at a better price. Same good grip with a bit thinner extrusion.

hot rod

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Here is

some Radiant Engineering U fin over a slab. This contractor even relieved the strips to allow a nice flush surface between the plate and strip. And routered a turn groove.

Probably could have Warmboarded the floor for the same $$. But this was all site built. The addition above this had Warmboard. As you can see, we had to match an exisiting floor elevation.

Using the U fin puts the transfer surface against the finish flooring and takes the plywood R-value out of the formula.

Radiant Engineering now offers a Thin Fin, same great fit, with a bit less extrusion thickness.

hot rod

This discussion has been closed.