Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

a saturday thought

Gary Usa
Gary Usa Member Posts: 40
well if you get bored guys here's something for the grey matter lolo

were does the word's GOLF & honey moon come from

and what is the difference between a pipe and tube.

and who invented steam

what does this saying mean

i cannot remember what i just forgot but i just forgot what i cannot remember,

well just something to ponder over and no cheating either ,lolo

have a good one guys

all the best

gary uk

Comments

• John Abbott
    John Abbott Member Posts: 356
    Wit

Good to see your "wit" is in better shape than your back.

John
  • Al Letellier
    Al Letellier Member Posts: 781
    things to ponder

Great questions gary. I can only answer one for sure. The Great Boilermaker in the sky invented steam, then He gave the deadmen the knowledge to use is to mankind's benefit. I thank him for people like Dan and all the wallies for sharing that passed-down knowledge and wisdom. I just hope we all use it as wisely. ( a little Sunday morning wisdom)

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    I read somewhere

that Gold was an acronym that stood for Gentlemaen Only, Ladies Forbidden, since men only could play golf originally. The word Honeymoon comes from a tradition that the Father of the or Bride had to supply the couple with honey as part of the Dowry. I'm not clear on my memory for this one, but it is something like that. Where did the word Soccer come from???WW

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Gary Usa
    saturday answers

hiya guys,you know me happy as ever cannot knock me down,got to keep my chin up and carry on,you will see ,soon be back will be back in the usa what we call home

right here goes,

golf is gentleman only ladies forbidden

It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that for a month after the wedding, the bride's father would supply his son-in-law with all the mead he could drink.
    Mead is a honey beer and because their calendar was lunar based; this period was called the honey month or what was known today as the honeymoon

now steam mmmmmm well it dates back to the greeks

STEAM ENGINE
    The steam engine was invented by Heron, an ancient Greek geometer and engineer from Alexandria. Heron lived during the first century AD and is sometimes called Hero. Heron made the steam engine as a toy, and called his device "aeolipile," which means "wind ball" in Greek. The steam was supplied by a sealed pot filled with water and placed over a fire. Two tubes came up from the pot, letting the steam flow into a spherical ball of metal. The metallic sphere had two curved outlet tubes, which vented steam. As the steam went through the series of tubes, the metal sphere rotated. The aeolipile is the first known device to transform steam power into rotary motion. The Greeks never used this remarkable device for anything but a novelty. A steam engine designed for real work wasn't designed until 1690, when Dionysius Papin published plans for a for a high-pressure steam engine. Thomas Savery built the first steam engine in 1698. Watt later improved the steam engine.

well take care guys

all the best

gary uk

• Gary Usa
    saturday answers

hiya guys,you know me happy as ever cannot knock me down,got to keep my chin up and carry on,you will see ,soon be back in the usa what we call home

right here goes,

golf is gentleman only ladies forbidden

It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that for a month after the wedding, the bride's father would supply his son-in-law with all the mead he could drink.
    Mead is a honey beer and because their calendar was lunar based; this period was called the honey month or what was known today as the honeymoon

now steam mmmmmm well it dates back to the greeks

STEAM ENGINE
    The steam engine was invented by Heron, an ancient Greek geometer and engineer from Alexandria. Heron lived during the first century AD and is sometimes called Hero. Heron made the steam engine as a toy, and called his device "aeolipile," which means "wind ball" in Greek. The steam was supplied by a sealed pot filled with water and placed over a fire. Two tubes came up from the pot, letting the steam flow into a spherical ball of metal. The metallic sphere had two curved outlet tubes, which vented steam. As the steam went through the series of tubes, the metal sphere rotated. The aeolipile is the first known device to transform steam power into rotary motion. The Greeks never used this remarkable device for anything but a novelty. A steam engine designed for real work wasn't designed until 1690, when Dionysius Papin published plans for a for a high-pressure steam engine. Thomas Savery built the first steam engine in 1698. Watt later improved the steam engine.

well take care guys

all the best

gary uk

• rudy_2
    rudy_2 Member Posts: 135
    Captain Thomas Savery

Just out of curiosity, I did a search on Thomas Savery at Cornel U's The Making of America website (great site by the way!!!).

It found the following article entitled 'Romance of the Steam Engine'. Worth a read!!

http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/moa/pageviewer?frames=1&cite=http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/moa/moa-cgi?notisid=ABF2204-1004-5&coll=moa&root=/moa/scia/scia1004/&tif=00046.TIF&view=75
  • Tom M.
    Tom M. Member Posts: 237
    Honeymoon

As someone who has been brewing beer at home (when I have the time), I know the origin of the word honeymoon. When a couple was married, they went off somewhere and drank mead (honey fermented with ale or champagne yeast) for a month(or moon). This, accompanied by the expected activities of a newly married couple, was supposed to guarantee the birth of a son. In those days, there was much to be done in farming and fighting off invaders and male children were very much desired. As it turns out, the repeated consumption of mead will in fact change the PH of the mother's body, giving better odds to the male "swimmers". Or so I've read.

Tom M.
This discussion has been closed.