Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

boilermate

Lew
Lew Member Posts: 21
Saw an Amtrol boilermate today that was so hot I almost couldn't leave my hand on it at the top and sides. The boilermate and Crown boiler were about 5 years old. The boilermate temp. was set on 5 and the boiler was at about 180F.
What would cause the excessive heat loss? Thanks

Comments

• Rick Kelly
    Rick Kelly Member Posts: 40
    excessive heat loss

One possibility is failure of the insulating jacket. How? If the insulation were to become waterlogged, not only would you have heat loss, you would also have a direct thermal bridge to the outside of the tank.
  • Sounds like...

a leaker...

ME
  • Lew

Could it be leaking with no obvious sign of water on the floor?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    How hot

is the DHW inside the tank? Could be overheating due to improper piping allowing the dhw to reach the 180 boiler temperature.

If this is so fix the piping or add a thermostatic "scald guard" mixing valve at the tank.

At 180 or so tank temperature the jacket does get fairly warm. Although as others mentioned it sounds like an insulation issue also. Even a small leak will wet the insulation then it conducts heat.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Greg Gibbs
    Greg Gibbs Member Posts: 75
    Hot-Hot Water Maker...

The most likely answer is...the poly shell inside the H.W.M. has cracked, the hot water from the system has now soaked the rigged insulation...making the skin of the H.W.M. HOT! Greg
  • Tom M.
    Tom M. Member Posts: 237
    Is the circ running?

I had one where the mechanical relay had stuck causing the boiler to maintain high limit and the circ to run continuously. Where you say it was set to 5, I assume that it is the mechanical relay type with the knob type aquastat. I believe these came as WH7P which had a circ and the relay installed and a WH7L which had no circ or relay in which case there would be an external relay used or the aquastat could be connected to a zone valve. If you cool the tank down and turn the knob up and down or to the off position, you should be able to hear the relay open and close (it is a heavy relay and is mounted in the hollow base so it can be heard even when the boiler is runnning.)
    Hope this helps.

Tom M.
  • Tom M.
    Tom M. Member Posts: 237
    Is the circ running?

I had one where the mechanical relay had stuck causing the boiler to maintain high limit and the circ to run continuously. Where you say it was set to 5, I assume that it is the mechanical relay type with the knob type aquastat. I believe these came as WH7P which had a circ and the relay installed and a WH7L which had no circ or relay in which case there would be an external relay used or the aquastat could be connected to a zone valve. If you cool the tank down and turn the knob up and down or to the off position, you should be able to hear the relay open and close (it is a heavy relay and is mounted in the hollow base so it can be heard even when the boiler is runnning.)
    Hope this helps.

Tom M.
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Greggs right

I see this alot of Boiler mates. Its a sign of death for the tank. Once that shell is compromised its just a matter of time before its squirting out of the tank.

Scott

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Lew

Thanks for everyone's help. It sounds like it is a problem with the polyethylene liner.
  • Troy_3
    Troy_3 Member Posts: 479
    Boilermate

Not to worry-The last one I found like that and changed at my expense I was credited a whopping $80. And that wasn't labor allowance. That was their entire responsibility. I haven't used one since. I heard Amtrol has lost a lot of market share. I don't know for sure but I can tell you when a company doesn't stand behind me I don't use their products EVER! I figure Amtrol still owes me three tanks. I'm sure they are in transit as we speak. Good luck. Don't promise your customer anything till you get it in writing. I was verbally lied to by the Rep and the factory man.
This discussion has been closed.