Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

National Board number

Servicewiz_2
Servicewiz_2 Member Posts: 28
What is the significance of a National Board number on a boiler and how does that relate to the state number MD****** (I live in Maryland).THANKS for any input!!!!!

Comments

• Joannie
    Joannie Member Posts: 96
    National Board

Basically, the National Board Number can track you back to the ASME pressure vessel paperwork, which shows that the unit (or heat exchanger in the unit) has been certified under ASME guidelines, and which guidelines were used.

I don't know about how Maryland works, but I would suspect that they are using the National Board number in their paperwork to signify that the unit meets those parts of Maryland's requirements for pressure vessels.
  • Matt Connolly
    Matt Connolly Member Posts: 67
    Nat'l Board / ASME..

numbers are just for that purpose. Obviously it's a liability thing.
    What are you doing in MD? Residential or commercial? ASME has no jurisdiction over any single family resideantail dwelling. Apartments over 4 units and commercial properties do require it, but there are variances you can get if you want to use a non-ASME vessel in one of these locations. I have been through this before (not in MD) many times around the US and won everytime except once. MD is one of the easier states, I'm told.

Matt
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    May I ask.......

why Monitor has never gone through the ASME process. It has always been one of the things that has steered me away from your equipment. Hair splitting? Probably, but that's just me. ;-)

hb

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    heatboy

The Radiant Whisperer

"The laws of physics will outweigh the laws of ecomomics every time."
  • Matt Connolly
    Very simple,

> why Monitor has never gone through the ASME

> process. It has always been one of the things

> that has steered me away from your equipment.

> Hair splitting? Probably, but that's just me.

> ;-)

>

> hb

>

> _A

> HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=

> 103&Step=30"_To Learn More About This Contractor,

> Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A

> Contractor"_/A_

• Matt Connolly
    Very simple,

although it has been proven in the variances that were granted that Monitor exceeds the ASME in every aspect, we have not been able to find an engineer who has demonstrated the ability or desire to do so. This may sound simplistic, but our old consulting PE said the ASME guidelines were outdated and designed for the safety of boilers built on site for huge buildings that were steam heated. They have not been updated with current technology, and he won't take us thru the process until they are. That is why he is our old PE. We are actively looking. Any Engineers reading this?
    Matt
  • Wethead7
    Wethead7 Member Posts: 170
    and

They do not apply to anything less than 199,999 in low presure water. The current state(kansas) require ASME on anything above that. Low pressure or not.
    Mike
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Small commercial work.

Monitor has completely eliminated themselves from the commercial market, regardless of size, here in PA. If someone has to use another product, because of the "H" stamp needed, they would undoubtedly use that line for their residential work. I would imagine, Monitor is loosing quite a few contractors due to this. I need to be able to offer one entire line of equipment for both residential and commercial projects.

hb

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    heatboy

The Radiant Whisperer

"The laws of physics will outweigh the laws of ecomomics every time."
  • Matt Connolly
    You are right

about the commercial side in PA. But we have now filed all documentation and I am told that we should get the H stamp within 6-8 months. You'll jump right over from Viessmann then, I assume!
    Matt
  • Hold your breath...

on that one...;-)

ME
This discussion has been closed.