Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ABS to PVC

masterplumb
masterplumb Member Posts: 93
I have to make a vinyl pan for a shower. The house has existing ABS D>W>V> piping Does anyone know of a way to go from abs to pvc piping? I think they make a glue that you can adapt from from either to the other. Is there a better way? Also are they the same O.D.? ABS is not that common in my part of the county so there arent any suppliers nearby that have ABS fittings. Thanks for the help guys

Comments

• Tom Simensen
    Tom Simensen Member Posts: 74
    ABS to PVC

Chris, the O.D. should be the same for both so you could either use a no hub clamp, or Oatey makes a good all purpose cement that should also work well.
  • kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    You need....

to find a way mechanically join pvc and abs....by code, any plumbing code you can't solvent weld abs to pvc. Regardless of what Oatey makes...Mission and fernco make some nice shielded clamps or you could go threaded.
    They are the same size ID and OD. A good suppl house should be able to get you abs fittings in a day or two. kpc
  • Steve Eayrs
    Steve Eayrs Member Posts: 424
    Kevin

I wonder if you could tell me in the UPC code where its states you can't glue ABS and PVC together. I can't find it, but.......I can't find a lot of things some times.
    Steve
  • Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    Two different kind of plastics

the solvent welding solvent is different for each one and not that compattiable with each other. Use mechanical or screwed adapters so you do not have a future call back. I have seen the multipurpose solvent fail after time! Not good in a conceled space!
    bigugh
  • Steve Eayrs
    I will have to admit that

I have used a couple times in the last 18 years, and if they failed I never heard about it.
    I realize it may not be the best idea to make a habit of it, and that its two different types of pipe, but if the glue says its approved for both........
    My questions is still where does it state in the code its not allowed?
    Steve
  • Paul Cooke
    Paul Cooke Member Posts: 181
    PVC and ABS

Regulations for joining these two plastics vary from state to state. Here in Oregon the multi-purpose glue is not allowed. They still sell it here. And people still use it.

We are required to use a mechanical coupler like a Fernco coupler when the black pipe mates with the white pipe.
  • John Starcher_4
    John Starcher_4 Member Posts: 794
    In Ohio....

...the transition from one pipe material to another must be done with a threaded joint. A male abs adapter screwed to a female pvc adapter, or vise versa.

Starch
  • munchkin-man
    munchkin-man Member Posts: 247
    ABS joined to PVC

Use green transition cement listed by NSF and IAPMO and exceeds ASTM D-3138 to make a soild liquid tight and gas tight joints. Oatley makes this glue that meets this ASTM Standard.

We have this printed in our manuals for use when installing condensating direct vented gas fired equipment, and one must use ABS for the first ten feet of venting so the flue temperatures produced for the first ten feet will not exceed the maximum temperature rating of the plastic pipe.
  • Paul Cooke
    Hey, Mr. Starcher.....

........if that's your real name.

If you continue to use these obviously sexual innuendoes, your post may be eliminated from this site.

You might be able to get away with that in Ohio or even Pennsylvania.

And, anyway, shouldn't you be working?
  • ABS?

> Use green transition cement listed by NSF and

> IAPMO and exceeds ASTM D-3138 to make a soild

> liquid tight and gas tight joints. Oatley makes

> this glue that meets this ASTM Standard.

>

> We

> have this printed in our manuals for use when

> installing condensating direct vented gas fired

> equipment, and one must use ABS for the first ten

> feet of venting so the flue temperatures produced

> for the first ten feet will not exceed the

> maximum temperature rating of the plastic pipe.

Jeff, sorry I am confused. My supplier of Munchkins was
    animate about using P V C shcedule 40 solid plastic pressure
    rated pipe for Munchkin exhaust / air is this not correct?
    My experience with D W V has been ABS is personally preferable for most installations, it is a thermoset plastic
    and becomes unstasble at a much lower temp than PVC.
    PVC is a thermocast plastic, being more brittle but stable
    at higher temps. I guess I had better read my Munchy install
    book a little closer.
    Thanks Big AL
  • Jeff, ABS?

My supplier of Munchkins was animate about using schedule 40
    pressure rated, solid plastic pipe for connecting to Munchies, is this not correct? My experienece with plastic
    D W V has been ABS is personally preferable for most installaitons, the actual solvent welding of the base materials is almost fool proof. ABS is a thermal set plastic
    meaning it is maleable when heated. The PVC used for
    pressue rated is more of a thermocast material that is more
    stable at higher temps. but being more of a brittle state.
    I will have to take another look at my Munchkin install man.

The green glue is the only product approved for actually joining pvc and abs together, it work's well, but can be hard find. The fine print on the label reads it is to be used for joining dissimilar plastics but not for joining similar plastics, abs-pvc OK, pvc-pvc / abs-abs Not, go figure. The fine print on the label of multi-purpose glue that has been available for many years also reads it is to be used for joining similar plastcis, not for dissimilar plastics, but can be used for several different plastics.
    This DETAIL was pointed out to me by an inspector (with no
    small amount of embarrasment or cost to myself) many years
    ago. The best learned lessons are usually the expensive ones. Thanks
    Big AL LET'S ROLL...
  • kevin
    in the 2000...

international code (combined ICABO,SBCCI & BOCA codes)
    Sec 707.1 prohibited joints and connections, #5 clearly states joining of 2 different plastics by solvent-cementing....a phone call will get the right fittings and the job done better. kpc
  • Mark A. Custis
    Mark A. Custis Member Posts: 247
    Glue

Starch:

How long does it take to fix 16 homes with 3/4" ABS a/c drain systems welded with PVC cement? You are correct by the way ss606.21.2 of the BOCA International Plumbing code.

Mark

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • munchkin-man
    munchkin-man Member Posts: 247
    ABS for the first 7' only. Why?

If working on venting of direct vented equipment like the Voyager one must use ABS or CPVC for the first 7'. If venting a Munchkin one can go imediately to PVC 40 because the flue gas's are below the maximum rating of the PVC.

ABS(Acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene) Class 3-2-2-2-2 ASTM D3965 has a temp range of -40* +180*

PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) Class 12454-B ASTM D-1784 maximum temp of 140* design stress of 2000 Lbs.

The flue gas's coming out of the exhaust flue can reach over the maximum rating of the PVC and stay with in the ABS temp range. We use ABS on the first 7'then after that the gas temps start to fall drasticly below the maximum temp rating as they start to condesate and help cool down the pipe. After that we can go to PVC 40.
    The other option is to go to CPVC it has a maximum rating of 210*.
    The diferent materials can be joined together by using a no hub addapter if no green transition cement is available in your area provided the inspector is ok with it.
  • John Starcher_4
    John Starcher_4 Member Posts: 794
    Honorable Mr. Cooke.............

.......if that TRULY is your real name,

Leave it to you to discover my secret intent to warp the minds of all who lurk here with sexual innuendo. I would have expected no less from a man who secretly yearns to speak a second lanquage!!!!! How's the "for dummies" thing working out???? ;-)

Starch
  • jason_6
    jason_6 Member Posts: 4
    od on pipe

the O.D. on ABS and PVC are not even close on the same diameter. use a fernco clamp to connect the two. don't hack it up-last thing i want to work on.
  • Paul Cooke
    Starch

Not sure what you're referring to regarding the "for dummies" thing. But that's OK. My memory is short. Can't hardly remember what I did yesterday.

Now. To steer this thread back to it's original direction: Since when is the O.D. of ABS different from that of PVC? Maybe in Ohio.
  • kevin
    the outside dia.

on pvc and abs are the same....3" to 3",etc
  • Steve Eayrs
    If you are comparing sched 40...

> on pvc and abs are the same....3" to 3",etc

• Steve Eayrs
    If you are comparing schedule 40

PVC with Schedule 40 ABS they are the same size OD.
    Steve
  • Starch
    Starch Member Posts: 102
    Slovak....

...for dummies. Remember???? Chicago??????? Oh never mind.

According to my catalog, 2" pvc and 2" abs are both 2.375" O.D., but that's not the issue.
    Starch
This discussion has been closed.