Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Boiler Shutdown for Summer

Options
Randy Berg_2
Randy Berg_2 Member Posts: 44
This goes out to all the wetheads. I was reading on Burnham's website that they say to drain a steam boiler or to fill the boiler with water for summer shutdown. How many of you do this for summer shut down of a steam system? I have looked in Weils Mclain's manual and it says nothing about doing this. I can see both cons and pros in doing this. Just want to see what others do for summer shutdown.

Comments

• Tony Conner
    Tony Conner Member Posts: 549
    Options
    If It w

> This goes out to all the wetheads. I was reading

> on Burnham's website that they say to drain a

> steam boiler or to fill the boiler with water for

> summer shutdown. How many of you do this for

> summer shut down of a steam system? I have looked

> in Weils Mclain's manual and it says nothing

> about doing this. I can see both cons and pros in

> doing this. Just want to see what others do for

> summer shutdown.

• Tony Conner
    Tony Conner Member Posts: 549
    Options
    If It Was...

...my steam boiler, I'd drain it, flush it out with a hose, and leave it empty and open for the summer. I'd even break the union after the make up water feeder to make sure the boiler stayed empty. Filling it with water DOES work. But you need to check it periodically to make sure it stays full. Leaking blow down or drain valves will let the water level drop. This upper layer of water will absorb oxygen from the atmosphere, and pit your boiler at the water line. You should likely check the level once a week. Everybody starts out with good intentions, but are you REALLY gonna do this all summer? Drain it and leave the valves open, plugs out, etc. Nothing to look after now.

When you refill it for next heating season, fire it up right away. You don't have to crank it up to overheat your house, just fire it long enough to make some steam. This will drive the dissolved oxygen out of the fill water, and minimize corrosion.
  • Randy Berg_2
    Options

Tony, I agree with you also. I drain mine down and flush every summer and leave all plugs out.Also I do this on all my customers systems as well. Just wanted to se what others do. Thanks for your input.
  • Randy Berg_2
    Options

Tony, I agree with you also. I drain mine down and flush every summer and leave all plugs out.Also I do this on all my customers systems as well. Just wanted to se what others do. Thanks for your input.
  • ALIGA
    ALIGA Member Posts: 194
    Options
    hate to bump this

what is the consensus on this.

leave it filled halfway, full to the top, or drained.