Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

\"Green Stuff\"

Options
Bill NTSG
Bill NTSG Member Posts: 321
For removing the green corrosion from flux on soldered joints. We had a new guy start at work and I guess he does not wipe his joints. He also has the annoying habit of painting the joint with the flux brush after he solders. I went back to installation we did last week to fix a leak today and all the pipes were green as grass.I wiped 'em with a rag as best as I could. Any chemical solution or "tricks" ?????

Comments

• We work with one guy

who sprays WD-40 on all the solder joints after they cool off , then wipes it away with a rag . I know what youre talking about - alot of the guys I work with turn the brush into a flux stub . Point out to the kid that it says right on the can to use it sparingly . I think I know what hes doing though - hes using the extra flux to cool off the fitting .

I dont know of any tricks to get the green out except steel wool , a rag and elbow grease . Good luck .
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    I have found...........

that fine steel wool works best for cleaning up the copper piping before I seal them up. Takes off all of that stuff as well leaves a great shine!

Warm Regards,

heatboy

"Expert in Silent Warmth"™

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    clean up the joint

also works great for your hands and tools. Get the ones with the grit (pumice) and citrus cleaner. Make sure the joint is cooled off first :)

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options

Try Noxon metal cleaner. It will take it off. Only other way is to re-heat the joint to get it truly clean.

Mark H

• Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Options
    Some light machine oil

on the steel wool seems to speed the process a bit.
  • Bill NTSG
    Bill NTSG Member Posts: 321
    Options
    Thanks

For the response. I am hesitant to use any "oil" type stuff. Being an oil man I know oil and soldered joints don't mix so well. Like when your fittings or tubing get oily and you try to solder 'em. ?? I was looking for a soap and water type suggestion. Or some old kitchen remedy like vinegar or lime juice or hocus pocus ??????? Well thanks. I think the best thing is to wipe with a damp rag while the tubing is still warm after soldering. Bill {not the science guy}Nye.
  • Paul_6
    Paul_6 Member Posts: 88
    Options

> For the response. I am hesitant to use any "oil"

> type stuff. Being an oil man I know oil and

> soldered joints don't mix so well. Like when your

> fittings or tubing get oily and you try to solder

> 'em. ?? I was looking for a soap and water type

> suggestion. Or some old kitchen remedy like

> vinegar or lime juice or hocus pocus ??????? Well

> thanks. I think the best thing is to wipe with a

> damp rag while the tubing is still warm after

> soldering. Bill {not the science guy}Nye.

• Paul_6
    Options

> For the response. I am hesitant to use any "oil"

> type stuff. Being an oil man I know oil and

> soldered joints don't mix so well. Like when your

> fittings or tubing get oily and you try to solder

> 'em. ?? I was looking for a soap and water type

> suggestion. Or some old kitchen remedy like

> vinegar or lime juice or hocus pocus ??????? Well

> thanks. I think the best thing is to wipe with a

> damp rag while the tubing is still warm after

> soldering. Bill {not the science guy}Nye.

• Paul_6
    Options
    the pipe turns green

because the acid in the flux is still working on the joint. you need to nuetralize the acid with some baking soda in water,and a scotch brite pad. good luck breaking this guy of this habit Paul.
This discussion has been closed.