Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

back flow preventor,..testing?

Tom_53
Tom_53 Member Posts: 43
Customer called me today, They recieved a letter from New York Water Service stating they need to have the back flow preventor tested by someone licensed to do so. They recomended some testers & provided phone numbers. Failure to comply within 45 days could result in water being turned off. I have never heard of this testing procedure before, can anyone shed some light on this one?
Thanks, From Jack

Comments

• Al_3
    Al_3 Member Posts: 79
    Backflow testing

Just got certified 2 months ago, thought the training and test was going to be like the refrigeration service technicians test, a joke, but these guys are serious. And rightfully so, especially after you see some of the things in the book, like LP gas being pumped into water mains and blowing homes off their foundations, or lawn contractors
    filling tanks full of herbicides being siphoned back into mains and peeling skin off people in their own showers. local NYS water providers are supposed to have a backflow plan in place and if they don't are opening themselves up for litigation------------AL
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Licensed to test #003

Couldn't get #'s 001 & 002, they were reserved for the local water co gurus. However, I've got copies of the previous owner's licenses and ther did hold #'s 1 & 2.

Serious stuff. The local water co backflow guru decided to spot check the testers to see if they were actually doing the work correctly & guess who he picked to pick on first? Yup, that's right & I passed with flying colors. We test more backflow preventers than all of the other certified contractors combined in our area.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Heatermon
    Heatermon Member Posts: 119
    Good to hear ....

> Customer called me today, They recieved a letter

> from New York Water Service stating they need to

> have the back flow preventor tested by someone

> licensed to do so. They recomended some testers &

> provided phone numbers. Failure to comply within

> 45 days could result in water being turned off. I

> have never heard of this testing procedure

> before, can anyone shed some light on this one?

> Thanks, From Jack

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Heatermon
    Good to hear ....

the east coast is catching up to us on the west coast. Our water departments have been requiring annual testing for over 10 years now. We used to just see them on "industrial" services, but now, they are just about everywhere. We just completed our 1,000th test for this year, the earliest its ever been, again. We have set up a seperate division within our company to handle backflow testing, and have one employee assigned to test and repair full time. It is good to be "certified" for this and also have the water departments maintain an "approved" list for their customers. However, we currently have to be "approved" by 26 different water departments that are in our area. They are working on a countywide approval list, but of course there are many "polital" factors involved - (read cost). We are currently certified by the American Water Works Association and the American Backflow Prevention Association and they both are very intense. What kind of programs are popping up in your peoples' areas? Especially now since installation and testing are being introduced into the plumbing codes?

From San Diego

I am the Heatermon

• Jim Walls_2
    Jim Walls_2 Member Posts: 71
    certification/testing

I certified in '95 ( some would say I was certifiable long before that ;-) ) the class at that time ( Ohio) was a 3 day long combination of book work , hands-on work with different devices , written test & practical test. The written test required a passing grade ,,,,,the practical test had to be aced ,1 mistake & you fail and have to repeat the whole thing. The tester would purposely set some devices to fail others he would not touch , he would keep repair parts at the desk up front , if you asked for a part you did not need , called the part the wrong thing, did not ask for a part you needed , removed parts of the device to inspect w/o just cause & so on you failed. The license requires re-certification every 3 years , in '98 it was a 2 day process but since then they have reduced it to one full 8 hour day. The water departments enforce the annual testing and yes they will turn your water off if you do not comply. The license unlike some others is none transferable in other words your other employees cannot work under your license , the licensee must perform the work.The larger urban areas have been enforcing this for quite a few years but it is making it's way into the smaller communities , our water department ( population 9,000) is beginning the process of recording existing devices and setting up the program for annual testing
  • Even here in the sticks

of Southeast Missouri backflow was required with annual inspection.
  • Bob Morrison_2
    Bob Morrison_2 Member Posts: 10
    What's your preferred BFP model?

Heatermon,

What make and model # would you recommend for residential service?

Bob
  • Heatermon
    Residential or Commercial

I am a big fan of the Wilkins 975XL for 3/4" to 2" sizes. It's pretty simple, reliable and easy to both trouble-shoot and repair. The 575 of years back I wouldn't give to my worst enemy. Otherwise I like Febco 825Y Watts 009 and 909 and then the Hersey's FRPII. We see mostly Watts and Wilkins on the plumbing side, Febco and Conbraco on the irrigation systems and Ames on fire systems. Thanks for asking.

Heatermon

This discussion has been closed.