Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help! I am a homeowner and I have a question about Burnham's Cla

Options
I am going to buying a Burnham Classic Radiator (hot water operated not steam) as shown in their website.

When you look at the specs sheets (2 pages total) it indicates that all I will need is the unit (I am getting the CR-9-CF) and a 3/4" brass isolation valve and a balancing valve. My plumber will be redoing the copper piping to fit this new radiator. The pipes in and out of the radiator are both going to be on the BOTTOM of the radiator (not on the top).

My questions are:

1. Where is the air vent hole? Is it part of the balancing valve and I simply release something on the top of that valve?

2. Is it something that goes on the top and I need to open the cap and put a bushing that has the air vent hole and I buy an air vent for it?

3. If yes to #2 (in other words, yes, I indeed need to buy air vent and put bushing on top) then DO YOU KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A PRETTY LOOKING BRASS 1880s LOOKING AIR VENT that can be used with a standard bushing and cap on the top of the radiator?

Thank you so much. Eric

Comments

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,693
    Options
    rads

I have never seen the Burnham radiator. You may need to drill and tap your own hole for the vent. Your plumber should have the tools needed for this. Be careful, it may be a costly experience if you goof. I don't know where you can get those old fashioned vents.

Gary

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Bill NTSG
    Bill NTSG Member Posts: 321
    Options
    Vent Hole

Should be 1/8" IPS hole drilled and tapped near the top of the end section. There should be another in the lower third of the end section. The upper tapping for hot water, the lower tapping for steam. You will need a 1/8" "coin vent". Pretty much the same today as 100 years ago. The new radiator may or may not already have pipe plugs in these tappings. Simply remove the plug and install the vent. The vent is probably less than $5. I have not purchased a "classic" burnham radiator but I know the standard ones are factory drilled and tapped. I measured a house today for a replacement steam boiler. The radiators were all Burnham. One was a 32 section. House may have been late 40's early 50's my guess. Good luck
  • Unknown
    Options
    Classic Radiators

There is no need to drill and tap the sections, as they already have tappings on top and bottom. Your second choice is the correct one utilizing a bushing and coin or key vent. I am not sure of a source for brass vents but I am sure they are available out there somewhere. I will check into it with our Marketing Dept. tomorrow and let you know. Hope this helps.

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Corp.
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options

I recently assembled 10 of these, each with 17 sections.

Beautiful radiators!!!!!!! You will have to remove one of the upper plugs and install a reducing bushing to get the air vent in. Seems a shame but that is how they are built.

They come tapped for steam applications but not for water. You may have to look long and hard for a 1" x 1/8" bushing.

DO NOT TRY TO DRILL AND TAP THE RADIATOR!!!!

Hope this helps!!

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mark Hunt
    Options

Glenn,

The last batch that Dave Benham showed us how to put together did not have upper taps. We had to bush the upper taps down.

Did something change since March 2002?

Mark H

• Unknown
    Options
    Nothing changed

I stated that the tappings need to be bushed down Mark. Finding the brass coin or key vents is the adventure here. I have searched on line with Walrich and other companies, but all seem to be chrome or nickel plated for corrosion resistance.

Glenn
  • Mark Hunt
    Options

Re-read the post, I missed the bushing part.

I wish I had kept all of those old brass key vents I replaced on jobs over the years.

In my part of the world, I would be looking in salvage yards for these. Too many folks rip out their old CI radiators and replace it with BB. The salvage yards will buy the old rads for $20 to $50 bucks depending on size. The funny part is if you sell Mr.Salvage a rad for $40 bucks, walk out of the store and walk right back in, he wants $175 for the rad you just sold him!!!

Thanks Glenn!!!

Mark H

• Duncan
    Duncan Member Posts: 43
    Options
    $40.00 vs. $175.00 radiators

Hey Mark, here in Teller County, there used to be an antique store that had a great sign out front.

It said: "We buy junk. We sell antiques."
  • Mark Hunt
    Options

Marketing brilliance!!!!!!!

I was curious to see what Mr.Salvage would do when one of the "Re-conditioned" radiators purchased from him and that I humped up to the third floor of an old brown stone leaked from a crack.

He gave me a new one, but I wouldn't have been suprised if he offered me $40 for it!!

Mark H

This discussion has been closed.