Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rehau extruded plates

Options
mike glass
mike glass Member Posts: 53
Hey Wallies!!
I have a question about whether the use of above
mentioned plates will give more heat (btuh)when used
as an additional surface in conjunction with PE-AL-PE
in a 2" overpour??
Thanks in advance!

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=186&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• mike glass
    Options
    extruded plates

I should have said the plates would be in contact with the overpour!

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • mike glass
    Options
    extruded plates

I would like to thank the rep who e-mailed me but I lost his name & e-mail address! If he would return I would appreciate it!

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mike Kraft
    Mike Kraft Member Posts: 406
    Options
    Plates..........

DON'T GIVE OUT BTU'S!!!!!!!!Plates give the ability to allow for lower temperatures in your design.This is done by the transfer rate being increased.Not all plates are the same.If these are from Rehau then Rehau should have the default available in there design.Hope taht helps you.

cheese
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    What Cheese said plus...

If you had a situation whereby the resistance value on top of your radiant surface was a KILLER of btu's, then plates might help. But you'd be wiser to address the R value on top of your radiant surface before you jump to plates.

Plates WOULD allow you to operate at a MUCH lower temperature, which might make your radiant surface more conducive to the use of low temp solar...

I know Heatboy has done it. It was under a hardwood floor I do believe. May tell he'll chime in if'n he reads this. I owe him beer(s).

ME

• Troy_3
    Troy_3 Member Posts: 479
    Options
    Plates under gyp

I can tell you I've done it. It was in ski country. The house had three floors of glass facing a big valley. The covering was hardwood. I installed 2 runs of c-fin between each sleeper that was 16" on center. So the plates went from the windows into the room 8'. Then we covered the tube and plates with 1-1/2" of Rapidfloor gypsum concrete. I am not sure if it helped but it does heat nicely. All this powered by a Vitola bi-ferral. The house was coll it has a landing strip that comes right up to the back door.
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Plates + overpour

I have done this a couple times in high loss projects figuring supplemental heating would be needed anyway. The amazing thing about extruded plates is the temperature on the outer edges is the same as the area surrounding the tube. In essence, the heat transfer area is increased some 1500%(?) as opposed to just bare tube. In a joist bay the transfer rate is even more dramatic. Extruded plates are the most effective way of "gettin' the heat out". They will out perform every other means of heat transfer including gyp and concrete.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• radiantboy
    radiantboy Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Just my opinion

Clearly heat output limitations with a radiant system is not governed by the thermal mass on top of a subfloor, however heating systems are supposed to be designed for the comfort of the customers and to stay within this comfort level the floor surface temperature (which is linked with heat output) is limited to ~ 85°F. Typically most above subfloor radiant system can attain this, so either case (with the plates and overpour or with just the overpour) should be able to give you the same maximum heat output. To try to justify the cost of putting in two thermal masses (. i.e. overpour and plates) would be difficult to me for this reason.
This discussion has been closed.