Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Labor Calculations - Riles

Riles
Riles Member Posts: 84
As I go out and train beginning contractors on the correct way to install radiant, one of the most common questions for the beginners is "How Long Will It Take Me To Install The Tubing?"

Any feedback? I have talked with Dan Foley and have an email in to Dave Yates.

Any guidelines for the various installation methods: Slab, Joist without Plates, Joist with Plates, Overpour, Quik Trak above floor?

I understand Joist with Open Web Joists significantly differs from all that drilling. Plus, I only recommend 3/8" for Joist Heating, much easier to work with rather than "milking the cow" (1/2"). Shorter loop lengths worth the labor friendly aspect of 3/8".

I have a pretty good feel from quite a few jobs I have worked hands on with my contractors. But I am welcome thoughts from you more experienced guys. I'm just a wholesaler trying to be part of the solution by raising the bar.

THOUGHTS? THANKS.

Comments

• Bill_14
    Bill_14 Member Posts: 345
    Estimating labor

or man-hours is an individual thing based on one's own experience. Typically, time spent installing any task on a job is a factor of the materials and equipment being installed. In addition, it is a factor of many job conditions that affect productivity.

In my opinion, the most important thing with all estimates is to be consistent and organized. Look at all jobs as a series of tasks, tasks that need material costs assigned to them, as well as labor values.

Estimated materials, estimated equipment and accessories, estimated man-hours and estimated job expenses should all be figured separately and in a sequence that builds your job as you calculate costs.

Whatever one does, lump sum guessing should not be in your estimating tool box. Force yourself to think through each and every job estimate with a detailed cost estimate.

Develop a good system and stick with it.

Bill Russell
  • Boilerpro
    Boilerpro Member Posts: 410
    I agree with Bill

Okay first I need to bring in my stock materials; two move in the boiler and shipped materials, three, dismantle old boiler; four move scrap materials to truck, etc. Thinking through and listing each operation with a labor amount,this way really helps me arrive at very accurate estimates of the time needed for overall completion. I typically am within a few hours of actual time on large jobs (100 manhours +). It also helps ensure nothing is left out, including materials,keeping the bid price accurate. I also usually do piping drawings or sketches for most jobs to provide an accurate materials list and know I have X 2 inche joints to solder at X minutes per joint, etc

Boilerpro

• Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    How to calc?

Dear Mr. Wholesaler. At least your trying to accumulate knowledge for your customers. What a new angle!
    Like a piece of rope, it'll take twice as long to instanl the job as 1/2 the time, the job takes. That length of time will be known exactly as soon as the job finishes. For any contractor to relay upon someone elses idea of how much time it'll take, is to give away HIS individuality. No one person works the same amount of time to accomplish the same job. A contractor must place HIS best (educated) estimate to each task he percieves must be done. As has been stated by others, the look at the job, (take off the prints), should be orderly, complete, and the contractor then can get a feel for the labor to do the work. To know your costs before the job (bid), is to be carefull, precise, & complete.
    Even after years of doing the same job, costs change! In fact the only constant in life is change. So how can anyone guess what a job will cost without estimating todays costs into the bid (job). I think the best a wholesaler could do for helping (training) his customers is to provide accurate up to the minute material costs, and perhaps have the average of the local area labor charges avalible to contractors who would ask. Like the going Union labor rate. Labor charges have always been hard to calculate, always will. Per-man hour charges, and overhead (the cost of doing business) should be broken down into the smallest pieces and like the Material a job will take, each piece priced. How each contractor does this is HIS individuality. jmho bigugh
This discussion has been closed.