Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tricks of the trade?

13»

Comments

• DCContrarian
    DCContrarian Member Posts: 547

If you made a hole with a hole saw, and now you need a bigger hole, find a scrap of plywood. Screw the scrap over the back of he hole. Put the piece you cut out back in he hole, and screw it to the scrap. Now you can use the guide hole from the original cut to guide a new cut.

mattmia2
  • Voyager
    Voyager Member Posts: 402

I do the same, but I put the scrap on the front side and drill through it first and then use the scrap as the hole saw guide for the new hole. This works both for enlarging an existing hole and relocating the hole a little to one side or the other.

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,417

When cutting and threading pipe, always run a piece of rag through the pipe, as you would your soiled shotgun, to clean out any shavings and residual cutting oil. This will save you hours of cleaning & skimming on a Steam system. Mad Dog

delcrossv
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,313
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,229

I never did see what the purple primer did to benefit the process, doesn't affect the PVC at all.

Now cleaner, IMO, is absolutely necessary, never tried the combo cleaner/glue one step process.

Never subject to any inspection here in the past. There was one involved State project where I did use the purple. Sometime there was a lot of hardhats and clipboards on the job site.

But now if someone wants to see purple, I add some to the glue/solvent…..that leaves a nice bead of color on the joint……

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,804

that's good, but the pros are going to move along a little faster than that though.

Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • GW

Most drain guys will advise against any cleaner of any sort. Since you have it open, just stick something in there and pull it all out. If you're a little OCD like me, you might stick a hose in there and rinse it off. (I only mess with drains on my own properties)

oscillating tool—-wow that's a small tool for this type of work. Sawzall every time (in that situation). With new Cast iron installs, or cutting existing stuff that's more open, "snap cutter" is the go to.

Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,467

From Jon Eakes. You just need to drill a hole in a piece of wood with the hole saw and clamp it over where you want to drill a larger hole, the hole in the wood acts to guide the hole saw. Can do it with a drill press and some good clamping if you're careful too.

• PC7060

"With new Cast iron installs, or cutting existing stuff that's more open, "snap cutter" is the go to."

Agree, while chain cutters are expensive ($600), the quick accurate cuts are great.

GWdelcrossv
  • PC7060

We should get continuing education credits for this thread! 😎

GWCLamb
  • Mad Dog_2

I started "tinting" my PVC glue many yrs ago because of the sloppy mess purple primer makes. Mad Dog

PC7060Lyle {pheloa} Carter
  • GW

Matt I'll do a 'how to use purple and not make a mess' video someday! It's really simple once you follow a couple of rules.

Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2

Thanks Gary, I kept drips to a minimum, but I never liked the way it looked. Mad Dog

• DCContrarian
    DCContrarian Member Posts: 547

If a pex crimp ring won't stay where you want it while you crimp it, if you flatten it ever so slightly after putting it on the tubing it will stop sliding. Sometimes you can bend it with your fingers, if not very slight pressure with the channel locks will do it.