Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hydronic Air Handler blows cold air

Options
It's heating season but my HBXB-HW Series Hydronic Air Handler (made by first co.) stopped working. I have this unit in my condo but I get hot water supply from a boiler in my condo's basement managed by property. I can clearly feel the hot water is there because "water in" pipe is super hot - but to my surprise that the "water out" pipe is very cold. The hot water is not circulating!

I found an air bleed valve on the "water out" pipe side. I turned on this valve just to gave it a try and after collecting a bucket of water the running water became really hot - at this point the "water out" pipe turned hot. I restarted the handler but it still gave me cold air. About one hour later when i return to check the handler I can confirm that the "water in" pipe remained very hot while the "water out"pipe became cold again.

Refering to an old post I found a control valve on the heating hot water pipe near the handler's heating coil - but this valve is at on status and given the factor I can get hot water from "water out" pipe when i bleed air valve I believe there is no issue for handler to get hot water.

This unit was working last winter and I basically did not touch anything any valve since. The only thing I did was to turn it off (shut off electricity) in April as I went away from two months.

any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,226
    Options
    Sounds like a circulator pump, somewhere in the system is not running.

Could be the end switch on the zone valve, or a bad or valved off pump somewhere. You may need to get into the mechanical room to troubleshoot this.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Alan Welch
    Alan Welch Member Posts: 269
    Options
    Sounds like a circulation problem, would call property manager in morning. Might be closed valve on return or something else beyond your control.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    I think the unit has it's own pump which is most likely bad or the pump is air locked.
  • ben_wayland
    ben_wayland Member Posts: 1
    Options
    What was it? I have the same problem.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,987
    Options

What was it? I have the same problem.

What system do you have?
    Brand name
    Model number
    What thermostat
    What boiler

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

GGross