Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Revisting a Boiler Room from about 18 yrs ago

Comments

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,917
    edited May 2023
    I did this job for Kim The Architect who REALLY appreciated a nice job and never haggled over price.  Removed all Steam (her wish) and did Radiant in bathrooms, two floors of Buderus Panel Rads, staple up Radiant under wood floors, Buderus Indirect.  She loved it for many years but got a Big Promotion and moved to Florida...Great gal!   Became a good friend.  Big wig with a Huge National G.C ...The GB 142 lasted about 15 yrs.  My good buddy and fellow Master Plumber Mike J. Replaced with a Bosch and progress in 2020 as I gave him all my Buderus Clients for annual service when I closed Triple Crown full time operations in 2012.  All original Circs & mixing valves....Indirect still going strong!  I can't believe how good the copper still looks....Jimmy The Gent Burke's Ancient Chinese secret....Mad Dog  
    mattmia2Dan Foley
  • Robert_25
    Robert_25 Member Posts: 527
    A nice copper job never goes out of style.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    So True!  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Dave Carpentier
    Dave Carpentier Member Posts: 587
    My sweats start out like that, but then I add more solder blobs and runs just to make sure it's good.

Nice lookin job.
    30+ yrs in telecom outside plant.
    Currently in building maintenance.
    Larry WeingartenMad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Thanks, Dave.  The key with the upside down joints in to hit them last, this way they get pre-warmed.   Then you gotta flick the solder across the face of the joint quickly front and back.  If you stay too long...Gamma Gobulin! Of course, I moved the torch every 3 seconds or so around the joint...mad dog 🐕 
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Nice looking solder joints Matt, I always appreciate seeing good work.
    Tim
    Mad Dog_2
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517
    It takes a lot less solder than 99% of us including me think. Uphill joints I always keep the heat up high too low and the solder runs down the pipe. Still mess one up occasionally.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Exactly, Eddie Booth (RIP) my Local 2 Shop teacher would say: "What are you guys doin??? Jesus Mary and Joseph you're gonna put the boss outta business!!!  1/2" joint..1/2" of Solder...2" joint...2" of solder!!!!"   He was pretty much right.  If your copper is really clean, Flux is not nasty, heat distribution is even, the solder will "flow like Irish buttermilk, Son!!!" (Jimmy O Brien 1986 The Rainbow 🌈 Room Rock Center).  Thanks for the compliments.. I love soldering and brazing..Great fun.  I've soft soldered up to  4" and Silver brazed up to 12" a few times, and alot of 6" and 8" ..Did alot of medical gas brazing before they even had the special cert.  Mad Dog 🐕