Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Recommendations for small 240V water heater?

fentonc
fentonc Member Posts: 235
I'm in need of a replacement water heater that feeds a utility sink (3-4 feet from the heater) and a kitchen sink (~10 feet from the heater) in a shared workshop space. It's primarily used for hand washing, and occasionally warm water for cleaning things. It has a 208V/30A dedicated circuit. The space is probably only occupied for 20 hours a week or less, so we tried putting in a tankless water heater, but the performance was awful - it takes a lot of careful fiddling and waiting to actually get even vaguely warm water to the sinks. I'm thinking that something like a 4 or 6 gallon tank would probably be fine, but I'm looking for recommendations from the crowd here.

Comments

• PRR
    PRR Member Posts: 108
    I have a Bosch gas tankless, but bypassed it with H-D's very cheapest electric tank, and am much happier. Sinkful of water without fuss or noticeable extra expense. Tiny undersink tankless are too small and weak (especially on cold well water). Big tankless needs care to find the right flow. Yes in a small shop a full 40 Gallon(?) is a big space. (I supplemented mine with a blanket and a mix-valve so I can keep the tank HOT yet deliver safe temperature.)
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    edited May 2023
    Is 208 a 3 phase voltage? You get around 15% less output with a 249v element on 208

Any 240v tank should work
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,272
    Hi, I'd try and figure out what the maximum hourly draw is and get a tank about that size. Rheem makes a 240 VAC 6 gallon tank. I'd just make sure you can get to the anode if it's glass-lined. Some small tanks put the anode in from the bottom, so you must remove the tank to get to the rod. >:)

Yours, Larry
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    If you really have 3 phase and 208v vs 240v I would either get a 240v tank or swap the element with a 208v element. The difference in output is significant. if my algebra is right it is about 25% less output from a 240v element on 208v.