Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

LOCHINVAR POOL HEATER

Options
Weil
Weil Member Posts: 23
Gentlemen,
I have had this Lochinvar pool heater for 3 years. First season I had intermittent flame failures. Despite my gas pressure at the heater being sufficient I knew the meter was borderline. So I upsized my gas meter to 1 million BTU capacity. The pipe run is only 60 feet and run in 1 inch. Only other thing running is 100k BTU boiler for heat and domestic water which comes off the meter in 1 1/4 inch. Then for the rest of that season and the next it ran except for the few flame failures where I had to do a reset. Lochinvar then came out twice last year and said everything was fine but replaced the ignition board at my insistence. Upon startup this season it wont stay lit. It goes through pre purge, ignites for between 1 and seconds and shuts down. Ignitor and sensor are clean and the burners look like new. Pictures attached.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,131
    Options
    Did you read through the service manual Perform all the tests that are shown?

That control may data log and tell you where the fault occurred

https://www.lochinvar.com/lit/339332ERP-SER_Rev%20F_100161004_2000003725%20(33522).pdf
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Mad Dog_2
  • Weil
    Weil Member Posts: 23
    Options
    Yes. I did. Went through the whole troubleshooting portion of the manual.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,230
    edited May 2023
    Options

60 feet of 1" gas pipe to a 199,000 BTU appliance? That looks like trouble to me. How many elbows are on the line?

Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,045
    Options
    What is the gas pressure at the boiler? and did you measure it with everything else running? I like to measure static gas pressure, pressure drop at ignition, and then see what it locks up at when the unit turns off. I like to do that while the equipment is the only thing running, and while everything else is running, record all values.
    hot_rod