Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is the water running?.

Options
dbarck2000
dbarck2000 Member Posts: 7
edited March 2023 in THE MAIN WALL
I recently had my 1930s hot water gravity system converted to a modern system with a circulator.

Now, when the circulator is running, I hear a high pitched sound that is similar to a partially open water valve (such as a toilet that is running). This is driving me a little crazy!

Is there any way to eliminate or reduce this noise?

More info about my system:
My house is a two story 1930s duplex with CI radiators (hot water). There are 4 loops (2 loops in each floor). Each floor has about 8 radiators. The new system has one boiler with one circulator and a zone valve for each floor. The circulator is a Grunfos Alpha2 15 - set to Auto.

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,637
    Options
    Is this a system with separate supply and return mains or an early monoflow/diverter tee type system where there is only one main that the supply and return for the radiators tap off of the same pipe?
  • dbarck2000
    Options
    There are separate supply and return mains.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,637
    Options
    You can try running the circulator at one of the lower speed fixed settings. There may be orifice plates in the supply unions of the upper radiators to balance between the first and second floors. That system doesn't need a lot of flow but the auto adapt setting might think it is connected to some huge system rather than a small system with huge pipes and be trying to flow as much as it can.
    gyrfalconMikeAmannGrallertdelta T
  • dbarck2000
    Options
    Thanks I'll give it a try.