Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Stage two furnace problem

Options
heatworthy
heatworthy Member Posts: 2
edited March 2023 in THE MAIN WALL

I went to a 2 stage furnace and I have a smaller old home. For 6 weeks I can not get comfortible. Have it up to 79 and still get cold and drafty during stage 1 Luke warm air and when off. 24 yrs my stage one ran nice and toasty and never noticed heat loss till the stage 2. Even if it suddenly gets hot at end of stage 2 I get such a chill after it stops. Help

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,649
    Options

Probably need to decrease the blower speed but need to watch the temp rise and flue temp while doing that to make sure it stays within the limits on the ratings plate. Whoever installed it should have figured that out as part of the installation.

• bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 915
    Options

The thermostat cycle rate or on/off differential should be checked as well, and the temp spread between the two stages.

Bburd
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,649
    Options

Also if the burner stays lit the whole time it is calling for heat.

• retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 905
    Options

I had a 2 stage in my home that lasted 25 years. It only ran on the high stage 1 time in those 25 years. I ran the furnace fan 24/7 since I had an electronic aircleaner. The thermostat was set at 72F in the winter and every room in my house was warm as toast. I recently replaced the 2 stage with a 1 stage, what a mistake. Now, I have to deal with the increased noise from the higher fan speed, which my wife does not like since she has the ears of an elephant. Let me add that every room in my home has both high and low returns that can be switched with the winter/summer seasons and not a central return grill that most installers install now-a-days. I would gladly exchange my 1 stage for your 2 stage furnace. If you are getting a chill soon after the furnace stops I would have to recommend that you need to tighten the envelope; ie, add wall insulation if you can, add ceiling or attic insulation, replace the windows, and seal any holes that let in outside cold air. Your problem is not the furnace, it is the house and the ductwork in the house. My 2 cents.