Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

LAARS EBP-175 whining noise when heating

Options
nikolay23
nikolay23 Member Posts: 38

Hello,

My LAARS EBP-175 started making whining noise when it is working heating up. The boiler starts raising tempreture and at about 190 it makes whining noise for about 30 sec to 1 minute. Then the noise goes away and the boiler continues operating quietly whlie room(s) are being heated. The same nosie comes up when the bolier periodically heats up to heat up internal storage tank throughout the day. I was suggested to raise the boiler pressure as it was at 15PSI. I brought it up to 20PSI and noise went away for for a few days. Then it came back. I had someone (that person know these boilers very well) look at it and he brought the pressure to 25PSI. The nosie went away for about 2 weeks. Now it is back again. Please share any thoughts. Thanks in advance

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,187
    Options

how old is the boiler? Has it or the HX tank ever been descaled?

High operating temperatures could be causing boiling at the HX surfaces, add ing pressure would help suppress that to some degree, but scaling prevents heat from the burner getting to the water through a scale build up.

No harm in cleaning both the boiler and DHW side of the system.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • nikolay23
    Options

The boiler is about 17 years old, but half of it was replaced about 4 years ago by LAARS (courtesy parts)

The heat exchanger was replaced about 4 years ago. Also i live in the area where there is no heavy metals and etc building up in the pipes. The tap water is even drinkable.

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,187
    Options

it's more about the minerals in the water, calcium, magnesium, etc, etc.

Whatever your water has come in contact with is what is in it.

A simple hardness text kit would show how hard the water is.

The DHW side, potable water is more prone to scaling as new water is constantly introduced.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • nikolay23
    Options

Thanks for info. I guess i can test that, but really doubt it is the case here. My previous DHW was replaced 4 years ago as a part of massive parts replacement after running for 13 years. It was still good after 13 years. I am not sure the new one would go bad after just 4 years. I cannot really clean it myself and will have to get someone with plumbing/boiler experience.

• GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,051
    Options

Can you elaborate on the massive parts replacement from 4 years ago? You had mentioned that the heat exchanger was warrantied at that time, had the heat exchanger failed?

For some context. Among other things many manufacturers specify no more than 7 grains per gallon of hardness in the water in your boiler system. Often I get contractors who say "well it's city water so it's fine" but locally our city water ranges from 13-25 GPG hardness. Even though it has been a top priority over the last decade or so in the heating industry, there are still many issues arising where the cause is simply "water quality" Manufacturers sometimes don't help because they tend to just warranty items which gives everyone the false impression that the water was fine to be used.

If you are on city water you may be able to look up the data for average hardness from your water source. The hardness tests are super simple to do yourself though, and I really advise checking it out for yourself

• nikolay23
    Options

These parts were replaced about 4-4.5 years ago at different times… Combustion chamber, internal grandfus pump, anti condensing valve, all flow sensors, external pump and heat exchanger. Last thing I replaced myself was failed ignitor back in Decmeber of 2022.

I just pulled up some data from New York City website and it states "Citywide, the average hardness is about 1.8 grain/gallon (CaCO3)"

GGross
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,888
    Options

LAARS EBP-175 whining noise when heating

Are you sure it ins't the spouse? They can get that way sometimes. Also Teenagers have been known to whine if you dont let them have the car keys on Saturday night.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• nikolay23
    Options
    Any other suggestions please? Is it possible that it is coming from the burner (maybe it needs to be cleaned) as the same howling noise is heard when the boiler comes on periodically throughout the day to heat up the 10Gallon tank.
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,051
    Options
    when is the last time you had a standard service performed on it? This does not count any time when the unit went down and someone needed to come in and replace parts, just standard service for the sake of maintenance.
  • nikolay23
    Options
    about 4.5 years ago when number of parts were replaced when troubleshooting something else
    All 3 zones were bled at that time and boiler was completely refilled from scratch.
    dko
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    Normally low water flow through heat exchanger 
    will make them sing