Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Munchkin 80M update replacement

Options
hmontena
hmontena Member Posts: 5
edited March 2023 in THE MAIN WALL
Hello all! I have a Munchkin 80M that I probably want to replace. Having a lot of issues. replaced the burner now the gas valve. This is 1 of 3 bought and installed in 2006. No one wants to service/repair, parts are difficult.

It set up for baseboard and indirect domestic hot water. Would like opinions on a replacement unit, not Munchkin

Thanks in advance for your help! Herb

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,141
    Options
    Optimize your home for low temperature operation if you can, that will help you get the best efficiencies and save on fuel cost. So many good mod cons out there. Lochinvar has been solid for me. IBC, Viessmann, NTI, all the major cast boiler manufacturers have mod cons.
    If you are having a contractor do the work see what brands they have trained on.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    fenkel
  • hmontena
    Options
    Thanks for the interest and reply. I have an old colonial house in Mass, that is split into 4 apts. Each has their own heat and DHW, I have 2 people over so far and they don't even want to touch the installation. One was going on about ,you have to make a board to mount, old stone foundation, bla, bla. I am thinking in my head ,well that your job/profession, is it not to install? I just just am choking on prices around 10K The unit could cost $2500 minus rebate, I can't see $6000 to hang the unit, cut and connect gas supply and 2 water lines. I am just the dumb homeowner, I piped the steam boiler, and installed the 3 Munchies. With supervision of a licensed pro.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    @hmontena

We can't talk price here so please delete yours. Try @Charlie from wmass you can PM him.

Look, I am astounded by the prices myself and did this work for 46 years. It is what it is. Trucks, insurance, and labor are expensive and parts are through the roof.

As far as the guy that can't put plywood up get rid of him. Unistrut from floor to ceiling will solve that issue. He is lazy and won't do a good job anyhow.

And the cheapest quote you get is the one you don't want
  • hmontena
    Options
    It wasn't my intent to talk price here. Just saying some numbers that I got. That guy wants me to get all the prices then call him. Sounds like he isn't comfortable with install.

Yes, that's what I would do with the unistrut.
    Just to what brand people like, easy maint. longevity , etc. Thanks
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,141
    Options
    I think the key to reliable, long lasting mod cons is proper installation, piping and pumping.

Do all you can to limit short cycling

Good water quality from day one

Clean and check at least evert couple years, confirm combustion with an analyzer

15- 20 years is a reasonable life expectancy, parts as you have discovered will be the challenge beyond 15 years or so.

Many of the wear components, gas valves, inducer fan, electronics are the same from brand to brand.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    hmontena