Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Noises from 2-tier Runtal Baseboard

2»

Comments

• dko
    dko Member Posts: 575
    edited March 2023
    Only if every tech was as informed.
    They wouldnt test connected to the boiler, just the manifold with the radiators connected. 

The runtals start making pinging noises as soon as you get to the 20psi mark with just air. 
    See this forum post, has radiant pex as well, every one is telling him 100psi or more. 
    While it is done for potable systems, people bring that over to heating pex systems and also test it to 100+
    Even uponors set up is with a 100lb gauge and says to test to 60.
    While that may be fine with purely pex loops, throw a runtal in there and there goes the warranty once you start throwing 100psi at it.

People read one thing and apply it to everything even remotely similar. Well in fact most dont even read any paperwork to begin with. 

I believe he has one taken out (replaced by the ci baseboard) available for testing!
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
    Hi Mr J.  Where 🤔 on The Island 🏝.. are you?  I'm on The Nassau Queens line.  I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with The Runtal Baseboard.  I've very familiar with  Runtal having installed it quite a bit over years.  You're wife has enough to deal with.  I can come out and take a look and listen if you'd like.  Just getting ready for work .  Matt "Mad Dog" Sweeney 
  • Niten_J
    Niten_J Member Posts: 20
    dko said:

Unless during 2nd renovation, people who were testing the system with new piping may have over pressurized damaging all the units? It's not unusual (not that it's correct) for people to test systems to 100psi while the Runtals are only tested to 74psi. Overpressurizing definitely warps Runtals indefinitely. I have had people bring me Runtals with tennis ball size bulges.

Confirmed with the installer that the system has not seen anything over 20 PSI.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    Mine makes some noise, I think i mentioned this when you first posted.

If there is a belly in the wall the hangers might not be in the same plane and it may bind on the wall.

If I remember you removed one and had it sitting on some sawhorses or something and saw the same noises?
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    Another thought, in addition to getting the outdoor reset set so the boiler runs close to constantly, limit the maximum firing rate on DH to only a bit over the calculated heat loss so it heats more slowly.
  • Niten_J
    mattmia2 said:

Mine makes some noise, I think i mentioned this when you first posted.

If there is a belly in the wall the hangers might not be in the same plane and it may bind on the wall.

If I remember you removed one and had it sitting on some sawhorses or something and saw the same noises?

That's right... we took a piece of the Runtal off the wall and rested it on wooden blocks for a week and still had the same noise.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,019

maybe the inherent nature of such a long steel panel?

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Niten_J
    Hi Everyone, wanted to give a final update on the problem. After trying everything we gave up on the Runtals and installed cast iron in the bedrooms. During the tests, the cast iron was deadly silent and the heat output is on par or better than the runtals (depending on the room). They don't look nearly as good, but at least we'll be able to sleep a night. Next step is to build covers to pretty them up... I want to thank everyone for their suggestions, help and empathy. I really appreciated it.
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes