Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What are the preferred pressure and/or vacuum gauges

Options
WaHeat
WaHeat Member Posts: 5
"They don't make them like they used to" seems to be accurate for gauges. We have used Winters gauges but they keep failing. I understand the glycerin filed gauges are supposed to last longer, but which brands or types have you guys had good luck with?

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Life in a service truck is tough on gauges. A padded case helps protect them from shaking apart.
    I invested in stainless case, glycerin filled, large 3" face for hydronic work, 30 psi and 100psi. A snubber helps protect from pulses and high peaks. I've had these two for 20 years!

A 300 psi with a lazy hand is good for catching plumbing pressure spikes, but they don't make a liquid filled version. If you go to a gauge manufacturer they will add that extra hand to most any of the gauge lines. The off the shelf ones seem to be economy grade.

When you shop at a gauge site they have a wide range of $$ and quality. 10 bucks to several hundreds for gauges. Trerice has been a good brand for me. Mid $$ range is adequate unless you need lab quality and precision?

Still on the fence about digital gauges, for long life and accuracy.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    WaHeat