Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Say hello to my little friend.........

Mad Dog_2
Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
edited March 2023 in THE MAIN WALL
I talk about my old boss "uncle Richard" Lil' Richard, Richie English  Son of the Plumbing king 🤴 of Levittown, A.C. English.  I met Richie at Dan's Lost Art Seminar in 1996 fresh out of Stony Brook..raring to get back in full time to the trade.  We sat front and center.  He offered my a job...and I took it.. started next day  $12 buckaroos an HOUR!!  Previously, pre- College, I had worked primarily in The Big City...NEW YORK.. with The "Onion"
I had done side jobs around my town and really loved residential and heating.  R.S. English was Thee place to learn.  Besides being a young Licensed Master Plumber, Rich was a cutting edge Heating guy.  He was Long Island's Rich Threwethy without a Show...and he actually DID the work too!  He did Wirsbo when it first his the 🇺🇸 USA 1980?  He did Vallarta, Buderus, Viessman...and he did it in the Long Island 🏝 Gold Coast Mansions and estates.  clients that owned Topps Baseball cards,  Matchbox Cars, The Islanders Hockey Team, The Roosevelt Fambly, Famous Hollywood types in Sag Harbor, South Hampton, Montauk...Manhattan...I could go on and on....Anyway...its him and Son James these days   custom boilers, Radiant & Snowmelt,  Viessmans....tons of them.  I've been on him to sign up here at FAC and he's agreed.  Please welcome Uncle Richard   Mad Dog 

STEVEusaPAMikeL_2

Comments

• Mad Dog_2
    Fire 🔥 Island Job  in progress 
  • Mad Dog_2
    His Company is All Island Radiant out of Smithtown Long Island 🏝.   He and James' Website would make Pavlov's Dog 🐕 
    Envious .  They are also a traveling road show working on remote locations on large snowmelt and radiant installs.  I don't think he did Sean Hannity or Billy Joel on Centre Island,  but he's doing the neighbors....Mad dog 
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Awesome job!
    steve
    Mad Dog_2
  • Dave Carpentier
    Dave Carpentier Member Posts: 586
    edited March 2023
    Showroom quality.
    Of course that implies routine pipe and wall cleaning and polishing, ya know.
    Imagine not knowing that room and opening the door.
    How could you not let out an involuntary "Wow"
    30+ yrs in telecom outside plant.
    Currently in building maintenance.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    It is worth of a 'Holy S--- batman!!!  ha ha .  Mad Dog 
  • guzzinerd
    guzzinerd Member Posts: 232
    Don't know what I'm looking at but looks darn nice 
    Bryant 245-8 2-pipe steam in a 1930s 6-unit 1-story apt building in the NM mountains.  26 radiators heating up 3800sqf.
  • Mad Dog_2
    edited March 2023
    The thing that endeared me to Uncle Richie
    Was his unbridled enthusiasm for the craft, the industry, the day and the esprit-d-corps.  He REALLY loved plumbing and heating...he loved the radius of a long turn tee wye, or how a certain solder capped better than others. And, the best thing about him was that he was a teacher that never ridiculed you or got real angry 😠 at you if you screwed up.  He also did what my father did
    When I was 7 or 8 and was ready to be serious about riding 🐎 horses: He put me on the pony"s back, showed me where to grab his main and WHACKED Poncho the Shetland  farm tease pony on his arse....sending me charging  out across the Paddock (the neighborhood) until I fell off!  Then he'd laugh heartily, help you up, explained how to do better next time. He was tolerant of different personalities and styles.  You could be you.  That was Golden to me.  I'm really glad he and James are bringing their traveling radiant & snowmelt show to the Wall.  They will be an asset! 
    Mad 🐕 Dog
    guzzinerd
  • Allislandradiant
    Allislandradiant Member Posts: 36
    Thanks for the kind words Matt. It’s nice when a former employee and student can remember the little things I taught and was listening to what I had to say. I have been in this industry for a long time and done a lot. From installing new plumbing systems in new homes & dormers, pouring gypcrete over radiant systems we installed and delivering fuel oil. As the old saying “ if you enjoy what you do, you will never work a day on your life”. That’s what our current venture is all about. All Island Radiant is installing, repairing and trouble shooting existing Radiant and Snow melting systems. I have a passion for this type of work and enjoy sitting back after the completion and sitting back and watch it all happen. I also enjoy passing on my experiences and teaching to my son James. He will be a 4th generation master plumber in this long line of family tradition. I hope he remembers the little things like you did Matt and was listening. Matt thanks for keeping our friendship going for all these years.

Mad Dog_2Alan (California Radiant) Forbesguzzinerd
  • Mad Dog_2
    It's an Honor Uncle Richard!  Your craftsmanship is IMPECCABLE.   Please showcase your work here.  Its really impressive 👏....and...I hope you'll be joining the Find a Contractor Family on this site.  Its the single best advertising $$ I've ever spent.  Beats Yellow Pages, Pennysaver, even traditional word-of-mouth!
    This is high tech 21st Century Word of Mouth.   Welcome, Boss!  " Matty" Mad Dog Sweeney 🐕 
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Looks great!
    I thought I was the only one to use galvanized gas piping. After seeing it's use under the boardwalk, over the ocean, I decided I did not like the look of rusting pipe. Everyone always said they would just paint the pipe, but no one did.
    Rick
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,978
    edited March 2023
    @Allislandradiant With all your knowledge and experience, I'm excited to have you as part of our group. And @Mad Dog_2, thanks for introducing Uncle Richie to us. I'll bet you still have emotional bruises from falling off Poncho the Shetland.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Nah Alan, Sweeneys wear their bumps and bruises as a badge of honor: Par for the course in "The Strenuous Life." Theodore-Rex. Mad Dog