Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

condensate drainage

Layth
Layth Member Posts: 20
Having finalized my new Weil-McLain aqua balance boiler install( with the help of a plumber ) I am curious as to why the plumber insisted on a condensate pump. I didn't question it at the time but now because of the plumbers use of corrugated plastic pipe and the use of some kind of mastic goop on the connection to the condensate filter, I have a continual drip from that joint. He has ghosted me so far. My question is why do I even need a pump? Couldn't you just use gravity to move the condensate to a nearby floor drain? It seems to be working that way now as I empty bucket after bucket from the continual drip.
Mad Dog_2

Comments

• unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Yes you could since theres a filter. 
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
    Yes..sometimes guys just copy 🐈 Cat what they have seen and duplicate it -i rrespective of common sense.  All u need is a pass via gravity thru an acid neutralizer and down the floor drain to goes.  I knew a plumber once who put back EXACTLY what was existing...if it had oversized fitti go and Bushes down...that what u got.  If it was bavkpitchrd.. thats what u got.  If the backwater valve was installed upside down...it was going back in that way, Dammit!   Mad Dog 
    reggi
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    As long as it is a floor drain connected to a sewer. Not just a soak away type drain under the concrete?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Layth
    Thanks for the responses! Still haven't heard back from plumber, so I think I'll just by pass the pump and go straight to the drain after the filter and yes this drain goes directly the sewer.
  • Lyle {pheloa} Carter
    Lyle {pheloa} Carter Member Posts: 52
    You didn't state where the plumber was piping the condensate drain to. If he piped it somewhere other than the floor drain, he may have been trying to avoid the liability of a tripping hazard. 
  • Layth
    He plumbed it to the laundry utility sink where the washing machine goes for it's drain cycle. I am in the middle of a complete basement remodel where I will be raising ( about an inch ) and insulating the floor. That's when I will be able to plumb directly to the drain. I am thinking of putting in a removable flooring panel in that area for access.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    If you cover a floor drain, you might add a trap primer to prevent it from drying out in the summer. Or one of the traps with a ball check valve.

If you have a washer stand pipe, pump into that, or the laundry sink trap with a dishwasher tail piece.

Do you need a floor drain down there?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream