Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What's your favorite method or product to hang your expansion tank?

Do you prefer hanging it with the pipe, an arm, strap, framing or something else?

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    It’s pretty job specific. Sometimes below a purger, off a hydro sep arm, on the side of a boiler, the framing above, a wall behind it depends on where it makes the most sense.
    Avoid any location that will cause damage when it leaks someday, never above electrical components or the boiler jacket.
    Expansion arm type brackets are helpful, the HydroClaw, a strut cradle rack, even plumbers tape in some cases.

A check valve or isovalve is a good addition.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    watercourse
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,524
    Nexus Flexconsole or Axiom HN-2.
    watercourse
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,524
    hot_rod said:

It’s pretty job specific. Sometimes below a purger, off a hydro sep arm, on the side of a boiler, the framing above, a wall behind it depends on where it makes the most sense.
    Avoid any location that will cause damage when it leaks someday, never above electrical components or the boiler jacket.
    Expansion arm type brackets are helpful, the HydroClaw, a strut cradle rack, even plumbers tape in some cases.

Why and were is the check valve installed? :|
    JohnNYSuperTech
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    I used this valve for isolation / checking etc and this fitting to hang my expansion tank.

I doubt it's the best but I know it's not the worst and it'll support the tank fine even full of water.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    SuperTech
  • Robert_25
    Robert_25 Member Posts: 527
    Hydroclaw bracket and piped with an isolation valve.

I like this one from Webstone: https://www.supplyhouse.com/Webstone-41672-1-2-Pro-Pal-Full-Port-Brass-Ball-Valve-w-Hi-Flow-Hose-Drain-600-WOG

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    edited February 2023

hot_rod said:

Why and were is the check valve installed? :|
    Service check is probably a better term. The 1/2" service check can be used on exp tanks or 1/2" air vents.

There are nice in that someone cannot inadvertently shut them off like an expansion tank ball valve.

The brass Caleffi expansion arm actually has a double service check. One keeps the fluid in the tank so you remove a waterlogged tank without getting wet. Take it outside to drain the pressure.The other keeps the fluid and pressure in the system when you un- screw the tank.

The 5580 iso valve, you have to break the seal to turn it off. A bit more protection from unknowing valve turners.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    SuperTechMad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
    Whatever suits the situation.  Fee & Mason split ring hangars supported with a 3/8" Rod to the nearest solid pipe, usually the system supply header. NEATLY bent  Band Iron is better than nothing.  Just be very careful working w band iron. I have a plumber friend from the "Onion" who lost an eye tin snipping a expansion tank down from the ceiling. It sprung back and went right in his poor eye...DONE!  Still haunts me.  The single most important piece of PPE (safety stuff) is safety GOGGLES not just the glasses!  Full protection on the sides too!  I have another friend who BARELY missed his eye when a cutting wheel on the grinder exploded like they sometimes do, and imbedded a nice size piece of wheel a good 1/2" into to the meat between the eye socket and the nose 3/4"
    From the eyeball.  In this case I'm using a face  shield.  Sorry, I CRINGE when are I see these PREVENTABLE life changing and crippling injuries. I must share these stories so SOMEONE listens and avoids this horrendous injury. Mad Dog
    rick in Alaska
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,426
    Sky hooks works for me!
  • Lance
    Lance Member Posts: 265
    A good engineer, even if it's your helper should keep this rule in mind. Build as if you have to replace or service it every week. Make it safe; avoid many bad choices. Do it right! Water has weight and it will not always be empty. A fastner is a little thing, but no less important than all the science involved. Make the hanger fit the need. If it won't hold the weight, it may not be right.
    HomerJSmith
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,717
    Why do you need to hang him? Has he committed a capitol crime? I though hanging was no longer used for the death penalty... I'm interested to find out more about this story.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    JUGHNE