Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wirsbow manifold

I've got a manifold similar to this one but older. It's got a wirsbo label instead of upnor. I can't pump water through the zone that it is on in either direction. I turned the flow restrictors counter clockwise all the way. Water comes out the air bleeder on the return. Could the header be plugged up somehow or is it more likely that the lines are kinked in the floor?

Comments

• Try removing those flow adjusters and see if the pin valves move up and down. It's hard to do with your finger; use a flat screwdriver. They are spring loaded; push down to close the valve and they will spring up when you let go. If they don't move, they might be stuck and you will have to replace the whole manifold since replacement pin valves are no longer available.

How is this manifold controlled? Is there a zone valve or pump that allows flow? It could be that one of these is bad. Going back further, it could be that the zone valve or pump is not getting the signal to turn on. Bad control or thermostat?

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • plumberdan38
    plumberdan38 Member Posts: 9
    Flow adjusters? On the supply or the return? I believe the pin valves you're talking about are on the return and they do push down and spring back. I haven't taken the manifold apart though so not sure what is happening inside. The flow adjuster is on the supply, correct? And they are adjusted with an allen key, right? I turned them all the way clockwise and counter clockwise with no effect either way. The manifold gets flow via a zone valve. I have already taken it apart and can rule out that it is the problem.
  • Dave Carpentier
    Dave Carpentier Member Posts: 586
    So you have a manifold with multiple actuators? No heat thru any of them ?
    Do the actuators show evidence of trying to open ? On the Wirsbo motorized actuator, a little lever moves left and right, on the wax/thermal ones the 'top' lifts up exposing a colour ring when its open. The thermals take a long while to open.
    Can you post a photo ?
    30+ yrs in telecom outside plant.
    Currently in building maintenance.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,832
    edited January 2023
    Yes, Wirsbo/Uponor is a high quality product  but I have seen those pintal 
    Valves seize up. .
    Mad Dog
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    On the upper manifold, removing the black cape will allow the valves to be wide open. On the bottom, the Allen screw turns CCW to open. Then you need to purge both loops. If valves are open, and the circ running, it sounds like an air lock in the tubing.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • plumberdan38
    There are no actuators on the manifold. The black caps are off on both the supply and return and the allen screws are turned all the way CCW. I was using the autofill to try and push water through both loops (the manifold looks just like what is pictured just a slightly older model) simultaneously with the return hose, off of a hose bib, in a bucket. Pressurized the system to house pressure (50psi) so not air locked. I don't think the pin valves have ever been shut so probably not stuck shut. I don't know if this zone has ever worked, the new homeowners don't know either. So the pin valves somehow either plugged or the two loops kinked somewhere, right?
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,832
    Why would the tubes be kinked? Did something happen?  Unless they went in kinked originally, pex will maintain its shape memory. Was construction recently done that makes you suspect that?  Mad 🐕 Dog 
    GGross
  • hot_rod
    I doubt it is the manifold. You could unhook the loops from the manifold and try flowing through it. That eliminates everything in the circuit but the tube.

A broken tube in the slab would not flow either, but you would hear the water going in.

A frozen loop presents like a kinked loop😳
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • plumberdan38
    Just grasping at straws. The owners are new so they don't know if it ever worked. I was pressurizing it up to house pressure so it's not broken. It was previously a storage room and for a while the zone valve was locked open because the thermostat was broken and off the wall. So could be frozen. I just hooked up the neighbor zone to the boiler. The two zones don't have doors between them so the one zone should heat the other pretty good. Kitec (pex al pex) pipe feeds the wirsbo header and I've read that the Al of the ketic can cause zinc to leach out of the brass and that could plug up a small passageway.
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,979
    edited January 2023
    I have already taken it apart and can rule out that it is the problem.
    So, you've taken the zone valve apart, but do you know that it opens when the thermostat calls for heat? And if it is open, does the pump turn on when all the other zones are off?

A picture of the zone valve would help us.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • hot_rod
    The PAP tube was certainly easier to kink, and it rarely unkinked😏 no amount of pressure will fix that.
    I doubt it could sludge up enough to stop flow completely
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA