Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Are these monoflo tees?

roddyguy
roddyguy Member Posts: 4

This is a picture of the feed and return. There is nothing on the tees that tell us if it monoflow or not. How can we tell? The house was built in 1932. Radiators are water heat. We need to add another radiator to the system but not quite sure what to do. These are 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 1". (reduced to one inch) .

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    edited January 2023
    Nope
    Are you sure they go the the same radiator? Or could it be that they are both supplies (or returns) to different radiators? Perhaps first floor and second floor.

Is there a matching pipe next to that pipe running parallel with similar branch Tee fittings (or actually Wye Fittings)?
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    roddyguy
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    I would hope they don't go to the same rad as @EdTheHeaterMan said you would get bad flow. Those should be 2 supplies or two returns.

If your adding radiators and you have a supply and return pipes (rad supplies and returns coming off different Y fittings on different pipes) you can use standard tees but I would oversize the branch piping so it would more closely match the flow in the Ys.

You can buy Ys but they are expensive
    roddyguy
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,574
    I think this might be a gravity one pipe hot water system with one run out high and the other low.
    roddyguy
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
    Hmm... I'd like to see more & better pictures of the run outs and if he could draw a shop  sketch, Please.  Mad 🐕 Dog
    roddyguy
  • roddyguy
    Thanks for the quick responses guys.
    My bad. You're correct -- these must be two supplies. Here are more detailed pics of a supply and return, runouts and a radiator.

• EdTheHeaterMan
    edited January 2023
    Now that is a gravity one pipe system where the Wye is the supply and the Tee is the return. Not too sure how that will work with a circulator though. Nothing special inside the Wye Fitting. Just the fact that the outlet is on the top of the pipe and the return enters the main pipe at a lower point on the side makes the lighter hot water leave the main to rise to the radiator. The return is connected at a lower point in the main makes that cooler return water find its way back to the main. Carlson's "Law if the Tee" applies here.

Does your boiler hav a Circulator? If yes, what model number?
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    roddyguymattmia2
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    Good bokeh!
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    roddyguyLong Beach Ed
  • roddyguy
    Thanks @EdTheHeaterMan !

The Circulation pump is a

Grundfos
    P/N: 59896341 P1
    PC: 1437
    Class: F

Type: UPS 15 58 PC
    60 Hz 1PH
    10 uF

• EdTheHeaterMan
    Operate that on the lowest speed for the best results
    roddyguymattmia2PC7060kcopp
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,574
    They essentially are encouraging the supply to flow in the top of the pipe and the return in the bottom of the pipe.
    roddyguy
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Agree with @mattmia2 & @EdTheHeaterMan
    roddyguy
  • roddyguy
    Thanks all.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,761
    edited January 2023
    The Y would be on the return riser .

It is not gravity .
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    Big Ed_4 said:

The Y would be on the return riser .

It is not gravity .

Have you experienced this piping configuration? Please explain how it works.