Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dead Men Tales: The Metal Manometer

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 635
edited August 2021 in THE MAIN WALL

The Metal Manometer

At first, Eugene Bourdon was annoyed when he saw what his worker had done to the metal tube, but then it gave him an idea that would save countless lives. In this episode, Dan Holohan tells us about an invention that’s at the heart of every pressure gauge ever made (even to this day).

Listen and subscribe here.

Thank you to our sponsor SupplyHouse.com

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    HAHA and all these years I thought it was a "Bourbon Gauge" Quite the invention. Mercoid still uses that style for pressure controls
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    I’ll drink to that!  :D
    Retired and loving it.
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    Another great story!!
    I remember an old adage you taught me, Sometimes you do something stupid you get a reward!!

In this tale something stupid like damaging a metal tube changed the industrialized world.

Keep them coming Dan, You are showing us the wonder of the human brain.

Jake
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks, Jake!
    Retired and loving it.
  • TomP
    TomP Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for another great story. I can see that his watch making skills would have helped greatly developing the little wheels and gears that made it all work. Loved the saxophone too. Reminds me of the early comment about computers, that while they will have their place in business, I can't imagine anyone wanting one in their home.
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,979
    edited July 2021
    What a guy! Thanks, Dan!

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,573

HAHA and all these years I thought it was a "Bourbon Gauge" Quite the invention. Mercoid still uses that style for pressure controls

But I still don't know how Bourdon is pronounced nor do I generally have occasion to say it out loud.
    PC7060
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks, guys. I’m glad you’re enjoying the tales. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
    @EBEBRATT-Ed. Here’s how to pronounce his name. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O8CCihnD1cs
    Retired and loving it.
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • jeant
    jeant Member Posts: 26
    Dan, I enjoyed your story about the steel manometer (pressure Gage). I had a wonderful opportunity to work at a Sugar Cane Factory on Kauai. The Mill was powered by three piston driven steam engines (1870 ilk). As nearly stand up inside the piston walls while taking measurement with a caliper (built for me by the welders) of stainless steel and about 48" high. I was a draftsman at the time. I marveled at the governor (one of my favorite pieces of engineering ingenuity) watching go up and down with the centrifugal ball weights spinning in and out allowing more or less steam to pass to keep the engines as a consistent speed. The way the steam engines were started, so they would go in the correct directions was with the use of an o-o (long solid metal bar) and a workman would stick it in one of the many holes in the (almost 20 foot diameter flywheel) and pry it to start up in the right direction. Calls made between the factory and the office started with Haard Libing as the Filipino men shouted into the phones above the din of the factory noise.
    CLambAlan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • DanHolohan
    @jeant thanks for that beautiful image. I can not only see it, I can hear it and smell it!
    Retired and loving it.